Pennsylvania Beer Help

Making annual trip up to Portland Maine in a few weeks and a buddy that is driving up from Allentown PA. He has offered to bring me beer. Besides Troegs, Yuengling, & Victory, I doubt I have had any other beers from PA.

TIA.

Jason

My daughter says:

Forest and Main
Tired Hands

Both are in the suburbs of Philly. They do cask conditioned beers and saisons.

And don’t forget to drink Geary’s Pale Ale while you are in Portland. By far my favorite Pale, and the only American beer that can compete with a good British Bitter -

I second that. I like the TH a little better than F&M, which do a greater percentage of British styled brews relative to TH.

Weyerbacher (which is near Allentown) is really very good. Their Riserva raspberry sour can be mindblowing (varies a bit by vintage) and their Belgian styled brews are worth trying.

What Rick said.
If you or he are looking for recs along the way up of other places to stop, let me know. Most obvious would be Trillium in Canton if he is coming up through MA near 495. They’re doing mostly cans now so no need to buy new glass for fills.

You might get lucky and hit Ghoulschip at Allagash. I saw last week they pushed the release date back b/c it wasn’t ready.

You should be able to get Full Pint in Allentown. I doubt you’ll find Hop Farm, East End, Draai Laag, or Roundabout, but if your friend does try and pick some up.

One big issue- in most stores in PA you are required to buy beer in cases of 24. That is an awful lot of one beer (the law is this way to cut down on drinking). There are very few places where you can buy single bottles. Giant Eagle may be the only place out that way.

BTW_ speaking of Maine, my nephews wedding was last week, they bought a few cases of Heady Topper for the wedding, as well as a few cases of Pliny the Elder as well. Made for a fun comparison.

Not PA, obviously, but depending on what time/day he is driving, Treehouse in Monson Ma, is almost on the way. Trillium and Nightshift not too far either.

Fegley’s in Allentown makes a good Hopsuletly IPA and I know Fat heads has started shipping to Philly area made in Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Anything Fat head makes is great.

Many bottle shops now in PA along with grocery stores selling single bottles of beer. Our laws have changed dramatically in last year. Out state needs another way to make revenue…

This…distributors sell beer by the case, nothing micro. Lots of single bottle shops with weird ass rules like 96 ounce max per person that are easy to circumvent and owners will tell you how.

Tired Hands and Sole Artisan are the two best producers in PA by far, in my opinion.

From PA to ME (in order by trip up the coast):

Tired Hands
Sole Artisan
Singlecut Beersmith (although not really on the way, you’d need to basically go through NYC, but I love them)
New England Brewing
Tree House
Armsby Abbey (in Worcester, MA - they carry multiple Hill Farmstead taps regularly)
Wormtown (it’s also in Worcester, so it’s an easy hit)
Trillium
Foundation
Bissell Bros
Maine Beer Company

That’d be one hell of a trip for a beer geek!

Edit: I realize this trip has likely occurred but for anyone else who is interested in PA/Northeast beer.