New England/Vermont-style IPA Is/Not a Thing

In light of the (fairly new to me) IPA movement towards non-filtered, juicy IPAs that are noticeably less bitter than the West coast IPAs, I found this article interesting - http://www.newschoolbeer.com/2016/03/new-englandvermont-style-ipa-is-not-a-thing.html

Interesting read. What I don’t want to see is everyone dropping everything to rush out to make hazy unfiltered fruit shake beers. I love the "Vermont " styled beers, but I love my west coast styled IPAs as much. Without a doubt, the east coast IPA is red hot and for good reason, but I could not drink them or their west coast counterparts exclusively. I do believe the infatuation will taper off for these styles as did it for the west coast styled IPAs. Variety is the spice of life and we need that in the craft beer world, its never been a better time to be exploring the ever changing landscape of the craft beer scene, the choice’s we have now are mind boggling.

Cheers,

Bud

Bud,

I agree with you and prefer variety in all aspects of life. But I don’t think anyone fears all craft brewers rushing into the NE IPA “style.” Hell, I’ve been looking for some west coast breweries to mimic the NE style for almost a year now and found my first one this past weekend - Great Notion in Portland. I was quite excited, as the PNW style IPAs are just too much for me at this point. The vast majority taste like alcohol poured through a pine cone.

So if the hype surrounding the NE style causes a few west coast breweries to mimic that style and/or utilize juicier hops, I’m all for it because God knows I can’t find those beers out here. And I’d like more variety in my IPA/pale ale choices!

Cant wait to try Great Notion Scott, hearing great things, glad you are getting some variation in your IPAs which is a great thing.

Cheers,

Bud

I don’t think Alchemist or Hill Farmstead are intentionally making their beers cloudy. They’ve been doing it for awhile before it was “cool”. But it seems tree house, Hoof Hearted, Twisted Hands, Cellarmaker (on some of their “east coast” ipas), Trillium are going out of their way to make orange juice sludge. I don’t mind it as it doesn’t impact the flavor to me, but visually it’s just weird.

Funny thing is, my last batch of trillium got shipped upside down the whole way (the way it was packed in styro) and every bottle I opened the cap was covered in yeasty sludge.

Cultivate that shit Charley and start brewing your own ! [snort.gif]

Cheers,

Bud

IPA styles are shifting fast. Grab a 60 minute or 90 minute and they do a good job of depicting the east coast style as of ~5 years ago. There are still a lot of mediocre east coast IPAs that are trying to be a 60 or 90 and failing.

I’m curious what east coast IPAs are similar to Great Notion’s Ripe. I’ve never run into one. Examples please.

Steven - see Charlie’s post for examples. I’d also add some of the Other Half beers.

I’ve never enjoyed the 60 or 90, but the examples being talked about in this thread are way different than DFH. I think Maine Beer Company does a really nice job with hoppy beers without going the hazy, orange juice route. But again, can’t find those out here.

Tired Hands and Trillium are the milk shakes in my view. Hill Farmstead has haze but there is very little if any residual yeast left floating around. I think Shaun Hill and his brewer argue the floaties are a flaw. When I think of the VT style it is mouthfeel that ties all of these breweries together. I don’t think the hops are as important (Trillium uses Columbus and Chinook as bittering hops, nothing new here) as yeast selection and many use higher % of wheat in the grain bill - Trillium uses around 8-10%. Many are also boiling at lower temps as well. Then to top it off whirlpooling and dry hopping produce that hop profile.

Greg - I agree with your mouthfeel comment. That and the overall lack of bitterness is what sets apart the NE “style” from the west coast hoppy beers I have easy access to. Those characteristics are what I find so refreshing. I could care less about the haziness and wonder why many seem to get hung up on that aspect.

Have you had hoof hearted yet? It looks like someone used sewer water as their liquid base for milk shakes.

Yes. Have only had Roller Blabe once and noticed the greywater nature of it.