Tequila Tasting

TEQUILA - Lou Rad’s (3/23/2016)

Last night my tasting group too a road less traveled for us. Tequila. A couple of us threw in a bottle we had and our host Lou added some others. It was a really fun time and also very educational. I know little about tequila and less about the good stuff. And these were all good to great. We started with a bottle of Negra Modelo beer. Always a solid beer but one I rarely drink outside a Mexican restaurant. It was a nice starter. We consumed the Tequilas for couple of hours, non-blind. Various Mexican styled apps were served. Definitely an area worth exploring more.

I tried to take notes, but I am a novice at what to look for in sipping Tequila. Fwiw, here are my thoughts.

• NV 1921 Tequila Blanco - Mexico, Jalisco, Tequila
    Clear. Nose of bitters and limes. Nice texture. Vanilla. Slightly rough. with some heat. B
  • 2015 Tequila Ocho Silver La Latila - Mexico, Jalisco
    Stronger nose. Limes and bitters. Clear in color. Thinner texture. Wintergreen. Smoother on the palate. Others liked this more than I. B+
  • NV Fortaleza Tequila Reposado - Mexico, Jalisco, Tequila
    Light copper/gold in color. The nose is smooth with celery and baking spices. Very smooth to drink. Spices. Slight heat on finish. A lot of complexity. A-
  • NV Siete Leguas Reposado - Mexico, Jalisco, Tequila
    Just off clear. Celery on the nose. The palate is smooth. Green beans. Clean finish. B
  • NV Don Julio Tequila Añejo - Mexico, Jalisco, Tequila
    Light gold in color. Smooth nose. Slightly woody. On the palate, very smooth. Wintergreen finishing with vanilla. Lots of complexity. I could sip a lot of this. A
  • NV Milagro Tequila Añejo Tequila - Mexico, Jalisco, Tequila
    Light medium gold in color. The nose is slightly bitters with celery and slightly woody. On the palate woody, vanilla and slight heat on the finish. B
  • NV 1800 Tequila Reposado - Mexico, Jalisco, Tequila
    Light gold in color. The nose has orange and vanilla. Slightly woody. Rougher on the palate and heat on the finish. Nice though with salt and limes as a shot. B-

I am reminded of the line, “I came to a fork in the woods and took the path less traveled, and now I don’t know where the hell I am”.
Well, thanks Lou, at least I am no longer lost albeit a bit slowed today. Lots of fun. Next month, back to wine.
Posted from CellarTracker

That was a fantastic tasting note! Thank you very much.