Brouwerij West - San Pedro CA

Hey All,

Just thought I’d check in to see if anyone else had a chance to go to Brouwerij West’s Grand opening this past Saturday in San Pedro?

I went, along with 8 of my friends.

A few things…

1) They really do have some spectacular beers.
I thought the Buckwheat sour was crazy good, then I had the Spelt Saison and my mind was blown. In looking around, I think the most popular beer of the day was The “Dog Ate My Homework”, which is a blackberry saison. There wasn’t a beer I didn’t like, I even thought the bitter was good and I’m not much of a fan of bitters usually.

2) Location!
This old warehouse is such an awesome setup for a Craft brewery. Tons of room for growth, great place for events. It’s massive and really cool inside. San Pedro is a little out of the way, but not too bad. Definitely close enough for all the craft brew people that are hitting the spots down in the South Bay.

3) Grand Opening event
Nicely done… Beers for $5… The lines were way too long at first, until I figured out the shortcut inside. I think they underestimated the demand.A few bands played, 3 food trucks… It was an all ages environment which was cool.

4) What’s next for this spot?
Hopefully they’ll do some demolition in the “courtyard” and do some type of a beer garden (Maybe even a restaurant). Not a bad setup and they have the parking, space and product to create a really nice atmosphere.

5) Beers poured

Spelt Saison - My Favorite of the day
My First Rodeo - Brettanomyces Saison. Excellent, but the others were much more to my tastes
Bitter Blond - A bitter, quite good… but Bitter’s aren’t my style. I still liked it a bunch
Sour Orange - NOT Sour, just a wheat beer with Sour Oranges. similar to Hangar 24 Orange Wheat, I suppose.
Super Orange - Just like above, but more alcohol & Orange-y
Dog Ate My Homework - Everyone was drinking this, first to run out… A blackberry Saison. Awesome
Tripel - I didn’t have this, it was 2nd to sell out though I believe
MOR MOR - A strong Dark Ale… Wow, really tasty. ran out 3rd… just before I ordered another
Buckwheat Sour - If you’re a fan of sours, this is great. Not a vinegar bomb, more balanced and subtle. I loved it.

Here are a few photos:

Brewery Entrance… in the beer line

View to the back of the brewery from inside

List of beers poured at the Grand Opening

Outside in the Courtyard…