Beer expert question- Westy XII

Just found 4 of these I have had a couple years- 2 in a fridge and 2 that were just stored in box in the basement. Cap reads 10-23-16. What exactly is this number? Should I drink? Age more? I did try a couple bottles already- remember it being very complex beer.

Thanks

It means that it was brewed on 10-23-2011, they put an expiration date of 5 years (Corrected 3 years) from brewing date. But, it’s still good after that time, I would drink 1 per year till they’re gone or save them till a much later date. I just opened a 12 year old Westvleteren 12 and 8 a few months back and they were still delicious.

Dan

Thanks- think I will try another soon. Does this get better with age? Might hold a couple

I got my beers confused it’s 3 years not 5 my bad for that. It develops a different taste that intensifies and shows a little more of the yeast. If I drink aged ones I’ll usually only drink 1, but when they’re fresh I can usually drink a few of them till my palate needs a break.

it depends on the style you like. Open one now see what you think. You already have almost 3 years on it. It’s starting to build that complexity of yeast and banana. I think with about 4-5 years it starts to bring down the heaviness of the beer which is nice. But some people like it a big younger as it’s pretty explosive on the palate