The hap happiest time of the cocktail year...

I love the blood orange season here, several tasty varietals, and nothing goes to waste!

I recommend them for your cocktail enjoyment…

The zest goes through the Zip Zester. I can do 28 pounds of oranges in the length of time it takes to listen to The Strokes’ “Is This It?”

The zest then goes in a hermetically sealed container along with 3 liters of 95% Everclear for 4 weeks - store in a cool and dark place, like your wine cellar! Then, mix 50/50 with simple syrup (which I make with 50% sugar and 50% water) for a lovely blood orangecello at about 100 proof. Smooth, yet deconstructing if not consumed warily.

I juice the oranges in the time it takes to listen to The Strokes’ “First Impressions of Earth,” and maybe some extra time for a few songs by The Struts.

Blood orange juice mixes well with Tito’s vodka (or vodka of Drew Goin’s choice!) a few drops of lime, and a little tiny dash of local “Aged Citrus Bitters” made locally by 5X5 Tonic, of Chico, CA…and everybody happy.

You must stir your drink 50 times, then let it set for ten minutes, then pour over ice.

I feel healthier just thinking about all the freshness!

http://fivebyfivetonics.com/bitters/

Sometimes, falernum can add to the profile as well.

You had me up until the Tito’s. :wink:

I went and fixed it for you!

Cheers!

[cheers.gif]

Please correct your post before you’re set upon by the Varietal department of the Grammar Police.

It’s a slow day…

Sounds nice Anton. Here in the Midwest I find that while most citrus arrives in good condition, blood oranges tend to be insipid. I don’t know if they don’t travel well or perhaps can’t be picked as early as other types of citrus. They tend to frequently be dry inside, have little juice, and just generally be a bit bland.

They do dry out quickly!

If we get them home and wait more than 24-48 hours to get started, it ain’t the same.

Make good margaritas.

Anton - among our grapefruit, orange, lemon and Mexican lime trees, we have one blood orange (in Rancho Mirage, CA). This year we had hundreds and hundreds of everything but the blood orange. It took off the year and din’t set any fruit. We had to borrow from our neighbors. I love them fresh off the tree and use them in cocktails and cooking and snacking. The good news is that there are hundreds of new blossoms right now which portends for a bumper crop in the Fall.

Fresh squeezed into Maggies with some Grand Marnier.

Feeling the love.