Game night and Beer

Game: Captains of Industry

Beers:
Fremont Brewing - Coffee Cinnamon Bourbon Abominable (2015) - 4/5
BAD Brewing - Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Porter 4/5
Mikerphone Brewing - Somnambulist 3.5/5
Drake’s Brewing Company - Jolly Rodger (2015) (Barrel Aged) 4.25/5
Lakefront Brewery - Black Friday 4.25/5

How is the coffee cinnamon bbomb? I wasnt impressed with last years variants, so haven’t tried this year yet.

I’m not Loren, but I enjoyed it this year. But I also liked it last year too. Not the Soice Wars, which was a really odd variant IMO. They must have agreed as they did not make this year. IMO Fremont’s barrel aged beers and stouts are still really good. It’s their hoppy beers that have gone waaaay downhill over last year plus.

I thought it very good.

Next Session:
Game: Prosperity 2013. Really fun game. Takes a lot of thinking.

Beverages:
Criminal KLP Mead - Real Key Lime Pie flavors. Intersting. 4/5
Traquair House Ale - A classic 4/5
Revolution Brewing - Clean, not spoiled. Would prefer more body 4/5
Dry Dock Brewing Co - Signature Series Bligh’s Barleywine Ale - Really good 4.5/5
Beachwood Brewing Torvarish - Overwhelming Green Bell Pepper - Not worth drinking 2/5
Wolf’s Ridge Brewing Dire Wolf Canis Mexicanus - Great for the style 4.5/5
The Bruery Melange No. 12 - Excellent if sweet 4.75/5
Hair of the Dog Putin - Flat but tasty 4/5
Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery Bourbon Barrel Oil Of Aphrodite - Very good 4.25/5
Revolution Brewing Company Bean Gene - Clean. Very good. 4/5

Just a 2-3 ounces of each, but the next am was very slow.

Great beer list! These carbonation issues with HOTD are the number one reason why I refuse to buy anything that is bottled by them any more. Ever had a flat double IPA? Pick up a bottle of Blue Dot. You might get a good one, you might get a bad one. Better odds at the craps table. Unfortunately, Alan’s take is that “there is more to beer than carbonation”, and is more than happy to let flat beers go out the door while he collects the cash.

Last night’s game: Isle of Skye - Excellent game. Lots of variations. Quick too. We played twice.

Beer:
Real Ale Brewing 19th Anniversary Baltic Porter XIX 4/5 - Very nice
Firestone Walker Sucuba (2014) 4.5/5 - Slightly sweet
Jackie O’s Skipping Stone (BBA) 4.5/5 - Sweet
Witch’s Hat Furious Giner BBA 4.25/5 - Interesting. Nothing over done
Deschutes The Abyss Cognac Barrel Aged 4.25/5 - A little goes a long way
Kuhnhenn 4th Dementia Olde Ale BB (2012) 4.75/5 - Delicious. Slightly sweet. Smooth
Jackie O’s Black Maple BB 2014 4.5/5 - Delicious though a bit of palate fatigue

4 of us share the bottle.

Oh, man, I love board games!

Great notes!

Same here Anton, and what a great idea Loren, going to give this a shot if I can get enough folks to sit still for a few hours.

Cheers,

Bud

Kind of surprised on how the Tovarish showed, maybe a bad bottle, usually this is spot on.

Cheers,

Bud

As serendipity would have it, the couple next door wants to get together a group to play settlers of Catan.

Is it fun?

Can I show up and learn as I go, or read up in advance?

GAME NIGHT AT GEORGE’S - BEER - George’s (7/1/2016)

Another game night at George’s and lots of great beers. We each had about a three ounce pour of each.
The Game was Nippon - Good game but took way too long for a first time.

• 2015 Crafted Artisan Meadery Honey Codex Combustum - USA, Ohio
    Very nice Mead from Northeast Ohio. Almost seemed to have a slight spritz to it. Golden color. Not powerful, but quite pleasant if maybe even a bit more than that. B
  • 2015 Elevator Brewing Company Bar-Bar Bourbon Barrel Aged Barley Wine - USA, Ohio
    From Columbus, Ohio. This is very good. Brown but not too dark. Nice nose. Some depth. Well worth seeking out. Not a lot of Bourbon notes though. Thinner body, yet lots of flavor. A-
  • 2016 East End Brewing Company Gratitude Barleywine-Style Ale - USA, Pennsylvania
    Meh. Its ok, but nothing special. Served in a can which is a bit unusual. Its a solid beer, but I don’t get the Barleywine. This was also supposed to be Bourbon Barrel Aged which didn’t really show up either. B-
  • 2016 The Bruery Chronology:6 (Scottish Ale) - USA, California, South Coast, Orange County
    Excellent beer. They called this “wee heavy” so it is in the style of a Scotish Ale and aged in Bourbon Barrels. A slight sweetness. Powerful beer but not over the top. Lots of flavor. Excellent. A
  • NV J. Wakefield Brewing Barely Something BA Imperial Stout w/ Raspberries - USA, Florida
    I liked this a bit more than the others. Not a lot of Raspberries. Perhaps that was what they meant by Barely Something. That said, the underlying beer is good. The raspberries to me had a Kool-Aid quality which I guess is not desired. Others found it more like children’s cough syrup. I didn’t think it was great, but I easily drank my pour. Certainly unique. B-
  • 2015 Hangar 24 Barrel Roll No. 3 - Pugachev’s Cobra - USA, California
    This is a Bourbon Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout with Maple Syrup. I found it quite good. Not a lot of Maple although a taste later in the night seemed to show more. Delicious wine. Slightly sweet. A bit of char. Good finish. Very light on its feet, not heavy. A
  • 2015 East End Brewing Company Homewood Reserve BBA Stout - USA, Pennsylvania
    Very good if not great. Everything is here just doesn’t take that final step. That said, very good. Slight bitterness. Good balance. Medium weight (for a stout). Enjoyable. B+
  • 2015 Lickinghole Creek Bourbon Barrel Three Chopt Tripel - USA, Virginia
    A lighter take on a Bourbon Barrel Ages beer. I seemed to like it a bit more than the group. After so many beers, it had some life to it. A bit of citrus. Slight Bourbon notes. Good clean finish. B+
  • 2015 Hardywood Park Brewery Bourbon Cru - USA, Virginia, Central Virginia
    A very good beer. Slight sweetness. Lots of body. Good finish. A-

Fun night. Slow morning.
Posted from CellarTracker

GAME NIGHT (HELVETIA), BEER AND MEAD - George’s (9/2/2016)

Last night I crossed town for Game Night at George O’s. The Game was Helvetia. As usual, at the end of the game I was only one turn from understanding what the game was about. :slight_smile: Anyway, the beers were excellent.

Thanks George!
Posted from CellarTracker

Catan is a GREAT game. That said, steep learning curve at first. So much of the game is the dialogue that goes back and forth; Velcro glove jokes (re: sheep), “I’ve got wood” (wood), brick house and more for dayyyyyssss. I’ve had more central coast pinot playing that game than Testy Troll has had in a year, and I’m being conservative :slight_smile: Just be patient, deal with losing the first couple and then get crowned THE LORD OF CATAN!!!