Scotch Experts...

Wanted to pick up some scotch for a friend of mine. He loves peaty scotch, so i’d love something in that vein. Take a look at what’s offered at HDH and see if anything jumps out. Hoping to keep the budget <$200.

http://www.hdhwine.com/retail-wine-list?keyword=scotch&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0

I know you said under $200, but I would go with the Ardbeg ANB.

If it’s not too pedestrian, then I like lagavulin distillers edition. Not on that fancyshmancy list, and widely available for well under 200.

OTOH, it is not a rare and seldom found scotch. Very peaty and balanced.

Lagavulin is my friend’s favorite producer! He’s got a bunch of it at home, so was looking for something like that. Thanks Henry

Hi Matt,

The distillers ed. is brought up in PX casks. Very mellow and peaty at the same time. There are different years available, but in the US they seem to be around the 1oo$ mark.

Glad to be of help!

cheers,
Henry

Lagavulin distillers edition is one of my favorites… I absolutely love the hint of sweetness that the PX cask gives to Islay smoke.

What’s up with the price of Laphroaig 10 on that list? $550?!?

“A special bottling of Laphroaig 10 year old, released in 1994 to celebrate the bestowing of a Royal Warrant on the distillery by Prince Charles.”
Of historical interest more than special character.
Many of those bottles listed are special edition, thus the unusually high prices.

P Hickner

If you can still find them in the marketplace, 2015 200 Anniversary Laphroaig Feis Ile Cairdeas and 2015 200 Anniversary Laphroaig 15 are very special, old school Laphroaigs.

For something with a little twist you could try Compass Box Anniversary Peat Monster.

ended up getting the Lagavulin Distiller’s Edition. my buddy and i are cracking it open on NYE. pretty stoked. thanks everyone!