Pisco.....Any thoughts?

Having recently returned from Peru, we have developed an appreciation for Pisco and Pisco sours. There were so many available in South America but a considerably smaller selection here. Does anyone have any particular favorites or information to share?
Much appreciated! [thankyou.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Marshall - I’ve had a couple of Peruvian Piscos as it is the country of origin for this spirit.They were Porton and Barsol. Liked both but I’m far from knowledgeable on the best. A fun book to read on Pisco and Pisco Punch is the book by Peruvian transplant Guillermo Toro-Lira called " History of Pisco in San Francisco". I also have “The Pisco Book” by Gregory Dicum which has a bit of history and several drink recipes.

Porton is the only one I’ve had straight, it reminded me quite a bit of a silver tequila.

Thanks Gary. I have tried the Barsol…very nice in a sour. I just purchased another that is a bit higher priced. I will post the name tomorrow.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

I like Macchu Pisco a lot. It’s made with aromatic white grapes, and their character comes through nicely.

Paging Mark Senn!!!

Sorry for my delayed response! Have been living in Peru for about 3 months and starting to taste more of these. The craft movement for pisco still in its early days but quality making big strides forward. A couple that I’ve liked so far. The best I’ve actually had to date is Kappa which is a side project of Lapostolle in Chile. Granted that statement will probably get me in trouble with my Peruvian friends! Pisco Porton has a nice line up and widely available. Barsol another tasty one. If anyone wants me to taste a specific brand, just ping me!

Try Encanto.

It is the brain child of a couple of guys from San Francisco. They just sold their bar Cantina to focus exclusively on Encanto. It is really delicious stuff and has recently won a lot of awards. I drink it regularly.

http://www.encantopisco.com

Tasted through several on our trip. Enjoyed the Huaman the best (one on the right).
IMG_3646 (800x533).jpg
I took pictures of what was available beforehand at Binny’s, and got universal recommendation to buy the Payet for when we returned.
IMG_4715 (800x600).jpg
Been making Pisco Sours regularly since our return