Best LA Breweries

Going to find myself in the Golden State around new years and looking for some breweries to hit up. Due to the vagaries of Delta pricing, I’m flying into SNA but staying in Pasadena, so anything that might be “along the way” so to speak is very interesting. Places with food are helpful, and of course if they distribute east of the Mississippi I can probably get it at home. TIA.

Go to highland park brewery. It’s about 15 minutes from Pasadena. To me they are making the most diverse selection of beers at a really high quality. Let me know when you’re in town, be happy to grab a beer! (I live in Pasadena).

Their food is pretty tasty too

Close to SNA you have Noble Ales which I doubt has distribution. Excellent if you like the hoppy sort. Not far from The Bruery if you like more wild stuff. Also Bottle Logic.

If you took a coastal trip up to Pasadena you could hit Beachwood, then cut up through Torrance (Smog City and Phantom Carriage)

Only Beachwood and Phantom Carriage would have food, unless you time it when there are food trucks there.

If you hit anything up in the OC, LMK if you are up for a guest or 2.

Cheers,

Jason

If you want to see a more mellow, laid-back, somewhat funky side of LA beach culture, visit El Segundo – kind of a throwback, unassuming town that is home to El Segundo Brewing Co. It’s a bit south of LAX near the shoreline and the Chevron refinery. They make a lot of different beers, many of them noteworthy. The Citra is a top notch example of West Coast Pale Ale style when fresh …

Barley Forge Brewing, in Costa Mesa, is about 10 minutes North of SNA and well worth a visit.

http://barleyforge.com

MacLeod in Van Nuys is very low-key and good beer! Love their Jackie Tar and The Crisis.
Also, if you are in OC, the Good Beer Co. is great.

I’ve heard it’s just good.

Lolz! :slight_smile:

Craftsman, in Pasadena, is one of the originals, and though they don’t see visitors, Mark’s beers are worth seeking out. Also in Pasadena you can get good brew at Lucky Baldwins & Congregation. There’s a new sausage German beer hall called Der Wolfskopf but haven’t been yet. There’s also a Stone store. I love Highland Park’s beers. Easily one of my favorite breweries. If you go there, you could also check out Eagle Rock Brewery close by. One of the first mom & pop breweries that preceded the LA brewery expansion. Another favorite So Cal brewery is Three Weavers in Inglewood. It’s a far trek, but the beers are worth seeking and can be found in various pubs. I second the love for Beachwood and El Segundo, but again, you’re driving an hour to reach them from Pasadena.

These kinds of lists are what they are but I thought it was useful and informative:

http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/the-5-best-la-breweries-that-opened-in-2015-6374338

Great Raft makes a handful of delicious brews in Shreveport.

Oh! THAT LA!

i was incredibly disappointed with my Wade’s Wine run this morning. We arrived into town late last night and my first stop is some good beer. Swami’s and Modern Times were the best I could find. No Noble or anything from El Segundo that looked interesting. Bummed

Surprising. Should be a lot of noble showers out right now. Whole foods might be a better bet

Most of the Shower Series is long gone. You may get lucky and find a Simcoe Showers but Citra and Mosaic were released about a month ago. If it helps Artisan Ales distributes Noble Ales.

Cheers,

Bud

they jsut got released in LA a couple of weeks ago.

Im going to be in Santa Monica for a late breakfast then up to the Hollywood area. Any good bottle shops that I can run into along the way? After Hollywood we are headed back to Westlake so I could also make a little diversion.

K&L on Vine has good stuff. If you can make it over to Echo Park, Sunset Beer Co is a dream come true shop. In the Valley, Woodland Hills Wine Co & Valley Beverage have good craft selections (VB more so). Otherwise, find a Whole Foods.

The whole foods in Sherman oaks, right off the 405/101 has a great selection. They also don’t hide anything in the back.

I really want to check this place out.

Last week, a friend and I stopped by Noble, Bottle Logic, and Phantom Ales. Bottle Logic was the best, foe my preferences (I was very disappointed in Noble, where I actually thought their dark Czech lager was the best beer they had on — it was legitimately excellent)

WHWC has a bunch of old beer. Very poor craft beer situation there, imo. Borderline insulting.