Lawson's Sip of Sunshine vs. Finch's Hard Core Chimera

I think Lawson’s Sip of Sunshine is among the greatest beers I’ve had, though it’s hard to get (really only available in northern VT and in very limited quantity in CT, where it is actually brewed). Got to taste these beauties side by side tonight. I’ve been drinking a lot of Finch’s Chimera lately, and always thought it was a good example of the sort of Northeastern IPA’s I like, akin to Heady Topper and Sip, even though it’s made in Chicago.

Had them blind tonight. The Sip was a tad richer. The Chimera a tad cleaner finish. Both are excellent. Honestly, tasting individually, I’m not sure I could tell them apart, which is saying something for the Chimera which seems to be much more widely available.
IMG_7459.jpg

i didn’t follow up the last time this came up, but i’d love to try the SOS. how can i get a can?

Road trip to VT? :slight_smile:

I believe that it’s only legally sold there and in very tiny quantities in CT. I managed to get 12 cans from a locally retailer here in CT, and I regularly have it when up on skiing trips in northern VT at Mad River Glen or in a few really good restaurants in Burlington. We’re talking small quantities here!

Lawson’s Finest Liquids, LLC is based in Warren, Vermont and distributes small, custom batches of unique beer through our exclusive wholesale distributor. Our beer can be found on draft, in bottles, and in cans from the Mad River Valley to Montpelier, Waterbury, the Upper Valley and Burlington. Thanks to our partnership with Two Roads Brewing, Sean travels to their facility in Stratford, CT to brew Lawson’s Finest Sip of Sunshine IPA and Super Session #2. It is then packaged into kegs and cans and distributed through our own wholesale company to the local Vermont market as well as locations in Connecticut through Hartford Distributors Inc. and Star Distributing.

http://www.lawsonsfinest.com/find-our-beer/

I consider SOS among the best beer I’ve had. That Chimera was right there in quality is noteworthy, IMO.

Good to know. Thanks, Peter. Sadly, I passed on buying Finch’s when I was in MN last week — due to ignorance.

I really like what I perceive to be the northeastern IPA style. I am not a fan of major bitter hops. These beers manage to get the flavor and richness without the bitterness, and Finch’s does a good job at the style of IPA I normally connect with New England.

Going to the NYC Berserkerfest in late May and plan to make a trip up to that area for a few beer stops.
Wonder how many beers fit in a Wine Check??

The Hotel VT in Burlington (which is a fabulous hotel to stay in, with good restaurants) has a full time beer concierge that can help arrange visits, tasting, etc. in VT.

Let’s just say he has an awesome job.

Last year I did a blind format tasting of 17 Double IPAs. Lawson’s and Finch Hard Core were both in the mix. Finch’s showed well.
Top beers were The Alchemist’s Heady Topper, Fiddlehead Master Mind and Second Fiddle, Foley Brothers Fair Maiden and the Finch’s Hard Core Chimera.

Both SOS and Finch’s are good.

By the way, I don’t recommend a tasting of 17 double IPAs.

Yes, that would be mind-numbing. Unless you spit, I guess? [drinkers.gif]

Heady is amazing, and Fiddlehead is a brilliant brewery across the board. Again, I really like the northeastern style IPA, very drinkable compared the hop monsters you find elsewhere. I moved from VT to CT 14 years ago, but I am glad my oldest son is going to college in VT so I keep having reasons to visit. Amazing state for beer, especially given its population. I haven’t tried Foley Brothers yet, but next time…

I’ll try to grab a few when we are in Northern VT over Christmas. Lawson’s, Fiddlehead, Hillfarmstead, and The Alchemist are my fav’s up there.

It’s actually available in NY on tap. It’s not around all the time, but often enough where you can try it.

5 days ago it was at the courtyard by Marriott in Times Square.

http://taplist.at/beer/211675/?city=New%20York&state=NY&distance=50

You can also check the untapp’d app. Not sure if taphunter is used in NYC, but if so you can use that too.

Hill makes the best IPAs in the country. Hands down to me. Too bad it takes forever to get there and growler fills take 2+ hours on a regular day.

A friend of mine lives in vermont and is kind enough to send me a semi regular shipment of vermont IPAs. Lost Nation is another really good one, their Mosaic IPA is killer.

Hill Farmstead’s Edward is pretty remarkable, as is the Abner.

My family and I are very into skiing. Luckily, my Uncle is a professor at UVM. So we are up in Burlington all the time in the winter. I joke about it. It would be enough to enjoy some of the greatest east coast skiing while hanging out with family. But throw in world class beer too and it’s perfect.

I can’t comment on the beers but did notice that Finch’s is building a new brewery in Long Grove, IL (it’s on my daily commute and just happened to see a sign a couple of weeks ago). Things must be going well for them. Will definitely seek the Chimera out.

yes please! trade for bottled cocktails…

thanks, but man that’s as random as it gets. can’t imagine they have anything other than coors and carona

Peter, have you had Double Sunshine ? IMHO that’s the best beer Lawsons has ever made, when super fresh it’s easily one of the best doubles you can drink.

Cheers,

Bud

It’s out right now! Maybe two weeks old or so

Really surprising to read through the positive feedback on Finch’s Chimera. I’ve usually thought of this brewery as one of the more boring brewers in Chicago (i’ve never had the Chimera). Guess I’ll have to revisit some of their stuff!

thanks for the heads up!