The Grappa Thread

Berserkers,

I did a search and didn’t find a thread on Grappa with much content. I wanted to get a nice discussion going for the liquor that comes close to my love for wine.

Background

Life in Italy has a great page on Grappa, which I posted below for your convenience. Here is the short summary:

Grappa is a traditional Italian drink that has been around since the Middle Ages. It is made from the grape pomace, seeds, and stems leftover from the wine making process. It is a distilled liquor, which means that these grape bits are heated until most of the elements have evaporated, leaving behind a liquid concentrate. The flavor of the end product depends on which grape varietal is used. For example, Grappa created with a Merlot grape varietal will have different taste than one created with a Sangiovese varietal. Grappa is traditionally served as an after dinner liquor or sometimes the next morning to “settle” or “correct” the stomach. It is generally dry, but some manufacturers add syrup to sweeten the taste. Typical Grappa’s are about 40-45% alcohol or 80 - 90 proof.

Example of the grape pomace and bits used to produce Grappa

Bassano Del Grappa

On my last trip to Italy I had a chance to spend a day in Bassano Del Grappa. This lovely town is located in the Veneto region, which is only a little over an hour away from Venezia. If you have some time and have an interest in Grappa, I encourage you to take some time and visit.

I booked a private tour at the Poli Distillery just outside of Bassano. This company has been in business for over a century and is one of the leading producers of Grappa in the world. The tour consisted of a walk-through of the facility with detailed explanations on the entire process, a tour through the museum segment of the facility and a Grappa tasting at the end. I definitely recommend eating a big meal before heading over for a tasting as they will let you try everything that they have to offer. We must have had tried almost twenty different types of Grappa that day.

Some of the Distilling Equipment

Some of the many different types of Grappa through history

A couple glasses lined up for the tasting

What I found was most interesting during the tour was the fact that there is no law regulating the amount of Grappa permitted to be produced within Italy, unlike the laws that govern the production of wine. Basically, you can make as much product as you want as long as you have the materials. I was also surprised over how many different kinds of Grappa exist. Literally hundreds, if not thousands, different types of Grappa. Every one just a little different than the other.

Not surprising, Grappa is much cheaper to purchase in the country of origin versus buying an imported bottle. I purchased purchased a couple of different bottles at the distillery to bring back home. One bottle I remember paying 15 euro, which at the time was a little less than $20 with the exchange rate. That same bottle I found online here in the US for $60 plus shipping costs.

What are your experiences with Grappa? Has anyone ever been to Bassano or another distillery in other parts of the world? What is your favorite type of Grappa?

Just picked up a bottle of Bertagnolli Grappino this week.

This is a great bottle to pick up if you are entertaining with people who have never had Grappa before. It is about half the cost of a good bottle of grappa (Around $26 at the local liquor store vs something from Poli, etc around around $60 a bottle). A little more harsh, but still enjoyable.

I used to have a strong preference for the softening effect of extensive oak ageing of grappa, but in time I’ve found myself enjoying some of the sweeter grape single variety unoaked (white) grappas e.g. Moscato / Brachetto. In addition I did enjoy some of the herb infused grappe in Trentino, though one or two did also add sugar, to the degree that it lost a little focus.

I have one bottle open, a Sibona Madeira barrel aged grappa, which is pretty good / complex and is the sort that could be a moderately softer entry point for someone quite new to grappa.

Thanks for the photos and notes, Joey. I like grappa very much, but my preference is for marc. Your three ladies look very little like the Burgundy winemakers I’ve visited who work with mobile stills.

Dick K. would be happy.

You’re so right about Dick K.
I miss that curmudgeon.

I like the Nonino Lo Chardonnay in Barriques grappa