The Taste of Cordials Share Your Experiences

I’ve had a few cordials in my life and find them interesting from time to time, especially Italian ones. I feel like I have only scratched the surface when I see all the interesting bottles at my local store.

Anyone care to share their tasting experiences with various cordials.

In the United States, espcially, the terms cordial and liqueur are interchangeable. So my reply takes that into consideration.

I like some limoncello, but the best I’ve had is the homemade stuff sold out of garages along the Amalfi Coast. I find some others (Chambord, Creme de Menthe, Kahlua, Amaretto, Frangelico, and most Schnapps) too sweet.

I like Strega with its herbal mint qualities. I’ve OD’d on Limoncello. Can’t drink it anymore.

Try Giffard. They make liqueurs for mixologists, more balance vs. sweetness.

Chartreuse was my early 20’s drink of choice. The green is best. Never had a hangover from it, even the night before Thanksgiving when I drank a whole bottle.

The VEP Chartreuse liqueurs are a little better, but not worth the money

My neighbor brought this back from NYC. I’ve had it in a riff on a Sazerac, substituting a healthy dose of it for Peychaud’s and mixing Templeton and Herbsaint. I’ve also substituted it for Campari in a Negroni. And I’ve sipped in neat. Incredible stuff. Complex and layered. I’ve been spoiled. Any other amaro will pale in comparison.

Cordial in the UK is a concentrated fruit base that is mixed with water to make a soft drink, its sort of like a Victorian Gatorade and very popular

Sounds like it means something else entirely here

Contratto. Like this one. Slightly sweet, baked apple, grapefruit, spice and herbs. Very nice.
image.jpeg

I LOVE cordials, amaros, etc.

Tonight, bartender gave me a taste of Dimmi from Italy. Mix of a wheat distillate and grappa with some herbs and other flavors. A little sweet. Was good, but not sure what to do with it. Headache waiting to happen.

Poire Williams, if you like pears.

Was gifted some Contratto Aperitif last night. Had it straight over ice. Herbal orange notes. Would work great in a Negroni or mixed with sparkling wine or club soda.
image.jpeg

Fernet Branca.

End of discussion.

Suze Saveur d’Autrefois. Bright yellow, amaro-like and made from gentian root.

Just tried this. Wowza. It will put hair on your chest. Herbal licorice cough medicine without any sugar. 15 minutes later, I can still taste it.