Equinox hops

I’ve never been a huge IPA fan – they’ve tended to be bitter and piney for my taste.

However I just had NEBCOs Fat Ten-Er #8 and I really enjoyed it. Stark contrast to the two other IPAs that NEBCO was pouring.

The folks said it was all Equinox hops so I thought maybe that was what I liked. Do you all know of any other IPAs that are Equinox hopped?

Or maybe it was just a fresher beer that the other two (although all 3 were on tap)?

Thanks

Scott

I couldn’t tell you due to not knowing the other two beers on tap, but typically the hop alone isn’t enough to change the bitter/piney, that’s more a style issue. Typically west coast ipas tend to be bitter/piney. New England beer co sometimes makes some really bitter/piney beer and sometimes doesn’t (fuzzy baby ducks is an insanely good beer that straddles the line).

I’m in your camp, I’m not a fan of bitter/piney. If you’re ever in San Francisco (I know you’re in Silicon Valley), check out cellarmakers in the city. They do some really great IPAs /pale ales that are on the softer side of the spectrum. They only do growlers, not bottles.

One of the others was Sea Hag and I think the second was galaxy which might have been an apa.

I’ve had the ghandi bot before and liked it. We go there 1-2x a year so I’ll keep an eye out for the fuzzy ducks.

I’ll definitely check out the SF place next time I’m up there.

Thanks

Scott

other half(brooklyn NY) makes a single-hop equinox. not sure when they release it again, but if you hear about it, remind me and i may be able to get you some. people say it’s like a hybrid of galaxy and citra (both very very citrus forward, not piney/resin at all), but i get green pepper out of equinox.

equinox is a trendy hop right now so more and more beers are coming on with it.

I got the green pepper out of the OH Equinox batch as well. Not my favorite hop. Maybe since it is relatively new brewers haven’t figured out how to treat it correctly yet.

i prefer equinox when mixed with other citrus-fwd hops like galaxy or citra. not a good single-hop. i don’t like any of the trendy hops tho. hate mosaic.

Yes, I could see it used in a manner similar to how Trillium and HF use Columbus as the bittering agent.

hmmm i love how funky mosaic is

That’s really interesting. I just had the Saint Archer Mosaic IPA and really liked it. Definitely a little funky and I liked it better than their standard DIPA. Surprised how much I liked it but I’ve had pretty good luck with the saint archer beers.

As an aside I also had the DH 60 min IPA and loved it again. It has replaced the Timothy Taylor Landlord Pale Ale for me.

Scott

v. picky about my hops. mosaic tastes like trash to me. i hate all new zealand hops except galaxy. so mosaic, kiwi, motueka, etc. they’re trendy af tho.

DAT NELSON DOE!?

Absolutely love Mosaic, agreed on the funkiness, love that brambly tropical berry complexity. Probably my favorite hop. Just super unique beers when used correctly, kinda like Nelson just a different profile. Different strokes I guess. Also since when is Mosaic a NZ hop? Pretty sure it’s a US bred and grown hop, I think related to Simcoe. Which makes sense cause I usually find Simcoe to have a wild side also, kinda underbrushy but with a piney citrusy profile.

I assume the “Lagunitas - Equinox” is an Equinox-hopped beer. IMO, it is an excellent brew.

Galaxy isn’t Kiwi, It is Australian. So maybe that is why you like that one!

ugh no

huh. i see brewers listing it as NZ a lot. ty.

^
This, for sure!