What Irish Whiskey to bring back from Ireland?

I have a friend who is going to Ireland. She wants to bring back some Irish Whiskey that is unavailable in the US, just for fun. She doesn’t care about saving money over what she can buy the same thing in Manhattan. Any suggestions?

Checkout www.royalmilewhiskies.com for research

Everything sold in Ireland is now available in the U.S., except distillery only bottlings. It wasn’t always the case, even a few years ago. It isn’t worthwhile to buy spirits in the UK and Ireland that are available here, as the taxes there are higher and the bottles are smaller.

OP just wanted to tell his friend that someone on the “wine board” said to bring back a bottle of bushmills.

Bushmills is Protestant whiskey!

OP is a Jew and doesn’t care.

And I thought you would be a fan of The Wire.

sheeeeeet i missed the reference. it just proves i need to rewatch the entire thing.

LOL. I never knew this until my 1st Irish bar experience on Dorchester Ave by Savin Hill. 2 Jews walk into an Irish Catholic bar and order Bishmills…Fortunately the lasses saved our necks. :wink:

I learned the other-way round in Belfast as a 20 year old student. In 1975, when things weren’t as convivial between North and South as they are now. [wow.gif]

Ah, despite the Bushmill vs Jameson religious connotation, are the whiskies available in the duty free shops in the airports a better deal than what you can get in NY or CA?

No. Travel retail exclusive spirits are largely no age statement dreck. Those that aren’t exclusive to travel retail are more expensive than in many US markets. Every whiskey that is produced in Ireland (and, for the most part, whisky produced in Scotland, too) is available in the US for less due to taxes. And don’t forget that Euro bottles are 700ml while US bottles are 750ml. The only exceptions are distillery only (you have to go to the distillery to buy them, for the most part) whiskies from Irish and Scotch distilleries and some single cask Scotch malt whiskies. It didn’t used to be the case even a few years ago, but it is now.

Thanks, Mark!

Midleton Barry Crocket Legacy. Or 25 year Pot Still. Not sure if the latter still exists - kind of like Hirsch 21 (and as expensive) Speaking of 21, Red Breast 21, too.

Probably all in the U.S., but need to hunt around for them.

I find them very useful to buy a 200 ml Glenlivet 18 for the flight home, better than what they serve on the plane for the most part.

Being a Red Sox fan you should know it’s Dot Ave. I am guessing this was Nash’s? Last time I was in there was mid-90s and I was with my gf and her parents who came over from Ireland with the Nash family. Still didn’t feel safe in there.

I was always under the impression the Protestant/Catholic classification was a US - based creation.

This shop in Dublin is very impressive. Still lots of bottles not being imported in the States. They also carry special bottlings exclusive to the shop.
Celtic Whiskey Shop - https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com

But is he a Protestant Jew or a Catholic Jew?

Paddy is somewhat harder to find in the US in my experience. That might be one to go for.

There was a point when Paddy’s was out of the US for a while. It is back and readily available in NY so not one that Jay needs to schlep back with him.