Amaro recommendations?

Starting to cultivate an appreciation for amaro and similar drinks. It seems to be a broad category in terms of style, ranging from sweeter and milder, to much more assertive and bitter. I’d say my tastes run toward the more singular and bold styles, though not so punishing as, say, Fernet Branca. I am generally drinking them neat, or maybe with ice, not as cocktails. So, I am wondering if anyone can offer some recommendations for enjoyable amaro?

Glad the amari bug has bitten you! It’s a wonderful set of drinks, and you are correct that there is a huge variety of options. Right now I have stocked Aperol, Campari, Gran Classico, Casoni 1814, Cynar, Sibilla, Amaro di Sicilia, Novasalus, Fernet Branca, Ramazzoti, Nardini, and Averna.

If you like the bolder styles, I’d pretty strongly recommend Sibilla. It’s a bit more nuanced than Fernet Branca, with a tiny bit of honey sweetness, but plenty of bitterness. Novasalus is a real punisher, with intense flavors of iron and blood. Much more intense than Fernet Branca, in my opinion, so maybe not the place to start! The others listed above are a touch milder, but all really good.

image.jpg

Here is a great treatise on amari…describing what to expect from many types as well as providing recipes.

This is the link to the “103” article. Links within the article for amari 101 and 102.

+1 great rec. Guy also knows his rums.

I enjoy Braulio.

Splendid, thank you so much for linking to this…

Angustura has a new Amaro and if you like Angustura, you will love it.

Disclaimer; I sell it as well as about 50 different Amaro’s

We had some Angostura last night and quite enjoyed it.

Do you also sell unnecessary apostrophes? :wink:

Has anyone tried the Fernet Francisco?

Leopold Bros here in Cali are doing a nice homage to Compari / Aperol:

I have a friend travelling from Milan next week, are there any only available in Italy spirits or Amari you’d recommend I put on my wish list?

Mark,

I actually had this last night for the first time. Quite delicious.

I’m a big fan of Unicum Zwack from Hungary as well…