Old Pliny and Fresh Squeezed question

I just found an old bottle each of PTE and Fresh Squeezed stuffed in my wine cellar. My daughter brought them over and forgot about them. Maybe 4-5 months old. Comments/recommendations?

Both will not be the same beer, but drinkable. If you know what Pliny and Fresh Squeezed are supposed to taste like, then most likely a drain pour.

I would get a fresh bottle of each (if possible) and do a comparison tasting. Educational.

From personal experience tasting old PTE (13 months past bottling date) versus newly bottled PTE, there’s almost no difference in taste.

Have never had old Fresh Squeezed.

i’ve had pliny fall apart in as few as 4 weeks. not pretty.

I have not had much experience with Pliny in general, but it’s a ‘fresh hop beer’ and by intrinsic nature these beers need to be drunk within a month of release. It’s all about the hop oils, esters, aromatics, etc. which deteriorate rapidly after 14-21 days. It’s objective science, not subjective taste. ‘Old’ fresh hop beers tend to taste like regular old hoppy IPAs. Perhaps not a dumper but unlikely to taste exactly the same as a fresh batch.

-_^

[wow.gif] [wow.gif] [wow.gif] Seriously ? [head-bang.gif] [head-bang.gif] I would love to hear what Vinnie would say if he read this.

Cheers,

Bud

I was surprised, too. Maybe I should qualify my experience as YMMV (your mileage may vary).

The old PTE was from a bottle my buddy had forgotten in his temperature controlled cellar, and had been sourced from a visit to the brewery. The new PTE was from a bottle that I’d bought at retail from a large grocery chain derisively known for their ability to take 100% of your take home earnings.

Very interesting. I have had Pliny that has been kept cold at two months that I would not recognize it as Pliny. My oldest Pliny I tried was a 5 month old bottle for the hell of it, it was drain pour, the hops had faded into a malty mini barley wine.

Cheers,

Bud

Which seems to sell Pliny for the lowest price anywhere! Even to the point where Fu complains about it. :slight_smile:

Don’t know about Pliny lasting, but I recently drank a Salvation that had been in my fridge for well over a year, and it was very nice. Not sure how it would have compared with a more recently minted bottle, but I liked it a lot.

Different animals. I like to age my Salvations at least a little.

J