Best Tonic Water

It is Gin & Tonic season again and I’ve done my fair share of consuming over the last month. After growing up on Schweppes and Canada Dry, its so nice to have great options in tonic. Right now, I’m back to Fever Tree making the best tonic with Q a close second. Fever Tree is a bit more full-bodied than Q and has a bit more complexity in my mind. That being said last summer I drank mostly Q because I preferred its lighter style.

I went on a Jack Rudy binge for a while and still drink it occasionally. But, at times, it doesn’t seem to have the kick that I want from a summertime drink.

I think it matters more than the gin.

But still ill take a cold Schweppes, fizzy from the can or bottle and be a happy man. Fever tree or the home made options are better for sure but some things aren’t worth getting too excited about.

I like Q. Most of the other ones are just loaded with too much sugar.

Q is ok, but I prefer Fever Tree Naturally Light Indian tonic Water.

http://www.fever-tree.com/us/naturally-light-tonic-water

Yep, I was just about the say that one. Good stuff!

I’m not a huge G&T fan, but my wife loves Jack Rudy. Small Hand Foods also makes a pretty decent syrup.

Has anyone tried making their own? Morgenthaler has a recipe that I’ve been wanting to try for awhile: How to Make Your Own Tonic Water - Jeffrey Morgenthaler. However, I’ve also read that homemade tonics have some potential risks, so I’ve always been a tiny bit chicken about it (Potential Dangers of Homemade Tonic Water - Alcademics).

We don’t use tonic to make gin and tonics. We mix it 50/50 with white port. We discovered this cocktail in Portugal a couple years back. It makes a great aperitif or to sip on a hot day.

image.jpg
and as a plus, the fever tree bottles grip the glass corks very tightly making the bottles great for leftover wine.

TomR’s tonic concentrate & seltzer.
tomrs.jpg

I prefer always Fever Tree Indian Tonic Water

I like Fever Tree Indian as well, but I recently bought some of their elderflower and it is really good, subtly flavored with the elderflower. Good stuff. Usually I use a lemon wedge but with that preparation I preferred a lime.

I like FT Indian as well.
My favorite syrup from the many I’ve tried is Bradley’s Kina Tonic Syrup.

I think q and fever tree are both great. However, if your local trader joes carries the little 8 oz cans of Hansens tonic, give it a shot. Excellent, and very inexpensive tonic.
I also find the whole foods house brand to be quite good.

Lurisia Acqua Tonica Di Chinotto.

http://www.lurisia.it/en/acqua_tonica.aspx

I’ve had the Hansen’s, not bad at all.

Fever Tree Mediterranean Tonic is the house favorite. People rave about their G&T when we use it—probably since their is a bit less quinine bite. I will use Fever Tree light Indian or regular in a pinch. I like the fact that they use cane sugar.

Q is too bland for my tastes. Canada Dry, too sweet. Polar is somewhere in the middle. Schweppes I don’t use as much because I can never find it in small bottles /cans.

Fentimans

I have this at home right now but haven’t tried it yet.

This, except I find Schweppes even sweeter these days, I wonder whether they changed the recipe a few years back…although it may be just the Fever Tree light Indian influence talking.

Fever Tree Light Indian has a weird taste to me, artificial and unpleasant. Love the regular Fever Tree, and really wish the light pleased me more, particularly as summer approaches.