TN: Allagash Mattina Rosa (2/2015)

I should start by saying I’m biased…this beer has been a unicorn until recently. The first batch wasn’t up to their standards @ Allagash. So they never sold it. They only poured it at trade tastings, tap-takeovers, and other beer-related events. onto the beer…

Color: Almost a copper with a ruby core.
Smell: blood orange rind, sour cherry, kiwi, and hints of raspberry with an undertone of salted dry-roasted peanut shells.
Taste: tart cherry, raspberry, ruby grapefruit, and a yeasty baguette note.
Overall: An outstanding sour…well worth trying. Seek it out if you can!

I’m really looking forward to trying this.

I’m a big fan of their beers. I would love to try this.

This hit distro today in the LA/OC area, went fast, most places got a case at most. Great stuff.

Cheers,

Bud

I saw it last week in NYC but hadn’t heard of it. Gone by the time I realized it was something I’d like to try.

My understanding is that they made enough to release across the US based on sales of their product. They really have ramped up their release of sours over the past 2-3 years.

I need to try this one

Picked this up at a retailer in Virginia today. Looked like I got the last bottle–12 oz. for $13.
The nose is a knockout and the beer itself is delicious. Complex fruit and just the right amount of sour for me. Very dry.
Personally, I would not buy again at the price–I will get my funky raspberry fix from Weyerbacher Riserva–but this beer was great to try.

Finally managed to score one. Tried it today after watching the Champions League Final. Pretty amazing. One of my favorites from them so far. Highly recommended.

I have a couple bottles of the 2010 Weyerbacher Riserva still squirreled away. The bottle I had a couple years ago was, and still is, the most sour beer I’ve ever had.

I must have he palate of a yak. Had this last week. Really sweet. Needed more acidity