Journey from Scotch to Bourbon and back

Anyone else have a long experience with single malt then jump on the Bourbon band wagon ?

What im finding is that the Bourbons are very good but now after 3-4 years of trying a lot of them including the cult’s like 20 Pappy, GTS, Parker, 4R LE etc I am being drawn back to the complexity and smoothness of a great single malt.

Anyone else felt like this ?

Both great, it’s not one or the other for me. I bunker both.

Nope. But always happy to see someone out of the game for bourbons I want.

My bourbon days are far behind me. I will still drink the occasional rye, but these days I find bourbon too sweet and my tolerance for oak has really dropped. My palate says there is no substitute for the complexity a stellar malt offers. The world of malt has so many profiles to fit my mood - it may be a peaty Islay one day, a Speyside sherry bomb the next, or a grassy Lowlander on a warm day. There is only so much profile variation you can get out of heavily-charred new oak. Your mileage may vary.

I have to admit I’m kind of with William on this one. I was fortunate to acquire the BTAC Eagle Rare 17 and George T. Stagg and without having had Pappy’s, I consider those the pinnacle of bourbons. I long for an Elijah Craig 18 year old but that’s about it.

Seeing as how well-aged bourbon is impossible to get up here, I’ve gone back towards Scotch and satisfy the sweet tooth with Brandy de Jerez and sherry cask-aged single-malt Scotch over bourbon now. This weekend, in fact, I am going to the SAQ in Montreal to pick up a Glendronach Parliament 21 and Auchentoshan 21.

I’m with Alan on this one. I’ve spent a few decades drinking single malts and only recently (10-12 yrs?) started on bourbon, which led to Irish whiskey > Japanese whiskey > and now I’m restarting my love affair with single malts.

No.

Why drink cask seasoning?