Thoughts on Current Release Irish Whiskey

Hosting friends and family on Saturday after a St. Patrick’s day run, and mulling over my choices in spirits. I usually go Redbreast but the price has escalated alarmingly in my market. So I’m curious as to people’s recent experiences. This will likely be consumed same day by a crowd so nothing too serious (read: expensive) need be considered.

Most likely options:
Redbreast 12
Powers John Lane

Curious about:
Knappogue 12 or 14
Connemara (peated Irish eh?)
Other??

Green Spot. Also made by Jameson, as are Redbreast and Powers; also pure potstill, as are Redbreast and John’s Lane. I find both Redbreast and John’s Lane to be inconsistent, depending on the batch. Some are great, some are poor. Green Spot isn’t as potstill tangy as it was previously, but in my opinion it is more consistently good than Redbreast or John’s Lane.

Mark, that was the one I forgot to list! That was up with my top contenders. Same price locally as Redbreast.

I agree on the inconsistency of Redbreast, and I haven’t had John’s Lane. My last bottle of Redbreast was excellent so that makes me prone to gamble, but I will take your advice under consideration!

Thanks.

I’d look at Tullamore Dew 12 or Phoenix. Our company sells Tully, but I am more familiar with it than others, especially in comparative tastings with competitors.

I like the Phoenix and can get it locally on sale for the best price in the country.

Picked up a bottle of Green Spot and will report back. Phoenix was similarly priced, as was Redbreast. Powers John’s Lane a bit higher.

Tullamore special reserve 12 and single malt 10 were both available for less as well.

Huge fan of Green Spot and John’s Lane (although I haven’t had John’s Lane enough to spot the inconsistency that M.Kaplan noted). Green Spot is the irish whiskey I serve to people that say they don’t like irish whiskey. Connemara is subtly peated. Well done. I really like Tyrconnell as well as it shows very fruity and complex.

Yellow Spot worth the upcharge? seeing it around.

I really like Knoppogue 12.

In a cocktail from The Dead Rabbit, called Hearn, it’s amazing

1 1⁄2 oz Irish whiskey, Knappogue Castle 12 Year
1 1⁄2 oz Sweet vermouth, Dolin
1⁄2 oz Green Chartreuse
4 ds Bitters, Dr Adam Elmegirab’s Orinoco Bitters
2 ds Absinthe
2 ds Orange bitters
1 twst Orange peel

I prefer Green Spot, regardless of price. In my opinion, Yellow Spot is overaged. Too soft and lacking potstill bite. Green Spot is softer (I think more age and sherry cask) than it was when made exclusively for Mitchell & Son in Dublin). “Old” Green Spot is my all time favorite Irish whiskey, but I am happy that the current version is now so widely available.

Knappogue 12 is malt whiskey, Green Spot is made from the traditional Irish ‘pure potstill’ mash bill of malted and unmalted barley.

I have liked every bottle of green spot I have had over the last year. It is quite smooth.

Btw, has anyone tried the yellow spot that has hit the U.S. ?

Yup. Read one post above yours.

I like Yellow Spot better than Green Spot, but the Yellow was brought back from Europe.

Travis where are you finding Green Spot around here?

Haven’t looked in a month. But they had it on the shelf in Nw 23rd. The downtown store doesn’t keep it on the floor.

Thanks, OLCC site says nix right now.

Bill, the basic Tyrconnell is really good for the price. I was looking for a bit more this round, but my experience was that for about $32 Tyrconnell is very solid. The odd thing is that the price jump on their next level bottlings is so extreme. The 10 year, wine-cask-finished Tyrconnell range is $80 locally. Head scratcher for me.

I often see the Knappogue, at very reasonable pricing (I think about $35?) but haven’t tried it. I’ll keep it in consideration. Aside from a mixer though, how is it on its own?

Ya, same pricing out here. I had the sherry cask finished last weekend and it just didn’t to it for me. I think the delicate intricacies that I love in basic Tyrconnell get all stomped on with the finish.

Little pricey at 49.99 but avoid sales tax and free shipping on Irish whiskey today.

Thanks for the info!