Ballast Point

Not only do they make some pretty good beers, but they also make my current favorite bloody mary mix. A bit on the thick/viscous side, but the flavors are spot on for me.

Latest yummy special:

Victory At Sea (Peanut Butter Cup)
Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits
Imperial / Double Porter

the Grunion is great, I dont know if its widely distrubted, heck I dont see it everywhere around San Diego, but its basically a hoppy pale ale, or a little fuller bodied Sessionable IPA, 5.5% I think and good amount of hops

+1. Grabbed a sixer yesterday. Probably my favorite beer from them.

J

shockingly, their distribution in NYC is amazing. able to get bottles of sculpin and cans pretty easily here. i love their stuff.

The upped their production a few years ago. Sculpin went from being as rare as Pliny to on the shelf at every Target in the area.

Jason

I’m pretty sure I can get it at the bottleshop that is part of my local supermarket… and I’m in Melbourne AUS

So help me here and tell me what I’m missing.
I have had the Sculpin (thought the bitterness was over the edge), the Fathom India Pale Ale Lager (good flavor, nice citrus notes, but finished a bit too short and clean), and the Big Eye IPA (ok pine cone/hoppy notes and good body but like the Sculpin, ends too bitter).
Good beers but nothing has yet to wow me.

I’ll keep an eye out for the Grunion. Anything else worth hunting?

Big Eye is lame. Was at a party today where they had it. Sculpin seems to have lost it’s quality control. I do enjoy and occasional Sculpin Grapefruit or Habanero.

But if you enjoy stouts/porters, I think Sea Monster and Victory At Sea are strong.

Jason

Thanks. I will look for the Grapefruit Sculpin. Normally, I do not like “stuff” in my beer, but I am fond of the Hop Valley Citrus Mistress as a crisp, warm weather beer. The grapefruit peel is a light addition and not a distraction.

I do like porters and stouts so will try the Sea Monster.

I really did not care for the Habanero Sculpin. Bought a six pack about a month ago and still have several left. Similarly was not impressed with the Grapefruit Sculpin.

Had a taste of Victory at Sea the other day at my local Whole Foods. Alcohol seemed over the top (not balanced). Would prefer one of several other similar offerings from local breweries over it.

Bought a six pack of the Dorado and was again disappointed.

Of all of the Ballast Point offerings I’ve had, the Even Keel session was the most enjoyable.

Sculpin is only good fresh or on tap. I like the Habanero, but thought the Grapefruit was lacking a little punch.

Gotta make sure it’s fresh. The grapefruit falls off within two weeks or so. Actually, I think sculpin itself falls off in a few weeks. Gotta check those packaging dates!

This!
I think that is critical with the DIPAs and the IPAs.

I visited the brewery last July and they had a cask grunion with mangos and pineapples that was a REDONKULOUS good beer. I took down 3 of those in no time flat

Just had some grapefruit sculpin and it was delicious. Jorge wasn’t a fan, but that was expected!!! Lots of citrus and bitterness upfront, slightly cut by the alcohol. Very drinkable and tasty!!!

They also make some delicious spirits. If you’re in the neighborhood, you should definitely stop by!!!

Gonna try to pop by today. We’ll see if it works out because I’d like to bring back some of the spirits. Hitting Alpine, Society, and Council first.

J

Someone at Delta Airlines has their shit together - cans of Sculpin available on my last flight. Saw it on the cart behind the bud light and asked what that was. Shocked! But happy.

Had my first Jester King beer today at lunch at this great Vietnamese place in my 'hood. Commercial Suicide I think is what the name was. After all the heavy hopped beers I’ve had recently this was a very refreshing change. Malty and smooth; it went great with a grilled steak Banh Mi.