Update on the US release of Westvleteren 12

Everyone knows about the Westvleteren that was released 3 years ago or so. They are distinguished from regular bottles by the imbossed bottle- normally there is no label at all. Well, I had one last night, and it was totally wonderful and at perfect peak. I do believe that these beers age like a sine wave, but if you stashed some aside to save, drink one now- you won’t be sorry. It is as good as beer gets. Sorry for the lack of a formal TN as I am under the weather right now.

I have a beer head buddy who I served this to blind on new year’s eve and he plotzed.

That beer really is pretty damned good.

I am interested in following how they develop.

We have a Sierra Nevada brew that came out a couple years ago called “Brix” that I think may have a nice aging arc.

I think you ment to type “Brux”, the collaboration between SN and Russian River Brewing Co. I was underwhelmed on release but liked it with a year of age. Would like to hear any updates now.

Good to know. I only had it young and was majorly disappointed. Maybe I’ll grab a bottle to give some age.

Jason

3 years is about right to start drinking Westy’s. Too young and they are a bit cloying without the secondary flavors developed properly. I like to pull one from the fridge a few minutes before drinking then drinking it while it slowly warms in a snifter. It really goes through some dramatic changes.

Right you are!

I have a four pack in the wine cellar.

Waiting!

Maybe that was my problem. I had one and thought it was a good beer, but wasn’t blown away and definitely didn’t think it was worth $20/bottle.

Still not sure its worth 20-30 a bottle but certainly starts getting interesting with some age. I usually get up to Seattle for work once a year. I will let you know so you can give some a try if you can make it.

Thanks for the update! It sounds like a good time to check in on one of my remaining 4 bottles.

Always happy to meet up! Can also trade beer if you’re here; I’ve got some decent NW stuff (Deschutes Abyss) and some Firestone (Stickee Monkee, etc.)

I will drop you a line when my next trip gets lined up. I’m not worried about finding something good to drink in WA while I’m there.

Need to find some in the Boston area.

More than happy to host an event in DC if folks want to do a Westy 12 vertical tasting here. I’ve got 3 or 4 different vintages. I’m always looking for a reason to open one.

Brux was pretty horrible. Even with age on it. I was very disappointed in it…

My first comment was regarding the OP mentioning Westies. No plotzing over Brux, yet.

I am eager to try it in another year.

I don’t think Brux will ever be very good.

As far as the Westy, though, I opened one of mine last week based on the advice here. I agree that it’s in a wonderful place. It was fantastic. I wish I hadn’t opened any when I got them, but I’m thankful to have 3 left to check out over the next few years.