Best available $150-$250 Bourbon?

Hi all,

Im looking to buy my Dad a bottle of bourbon for his 75th birthday. Ive tried to track down the newly released Pappy, with no luck. I looked at the Elijah Craig 23, but the reviews don’t look great. The EC 18, was one of his favorites. Any ideas on a special bottle I could find on the shelf? $300 is probably my max. Thanks!

Not a bourbon but if you can get your hands on the Parker’s wheat whiskey that was one of my ‘wow’ picks at Whiskeyfest.

You don’t have to spend $300 for great bourbon. You don’t even have to spend $100. But finding those gems can sometimes be tough. Pappy is great at MSRP and a statement gift, but as you said near impossible to find. The BTACs are equally good and equally difficult to find. I’m really digging Parker’s Heritage Collection 8, 13 year wheat whisky right now. Fantastic stuff and $90 MSRP, you might be able to pick that up, but it’s going quick. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is great and $50-$60, but also difficult to find. Angel’s Envy Cask Strength just got released in CA and I know CO is one of the states that gets it, $180 and comes in a fancy shmancy wood box, it’s well regarded. Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition is always a great gift, ~$100 but can be difficult to find. Wild Turkey Diamond Edition is sitting on shelves over here, but it’s $120 and the reviews are not complimentary. Older Willetts is great stuff. Ask your neighborhood bottle shop if they have anything special in the back for your father’s 75th Bday, you never know what they have hiding.

Lol, we posted at the same time, Brent. Great minds. I’m loving me some PHC8, I’m pouring it more than any other whiskey right now.

If a bourbon is in that price range, it’s rare and in demand. I always had a hard time when people wanted me to recommend anything in the $100+ range, it’s just not something that’s on the shelf most of the time.

Thanks guys. My liquor store actually has the Parker’s for around $100. I just wasn’t sure about a “wheat” whiskey. Im fairly new to bourbon/whiskey.

John,

There’s also a really good shop in Longmont that carries one of the better selections of bourbon in CO at easily the best prices:

PJ’s Wine & Spirits http://www.pjwinespirits.com
665 Frontage Road
Longmont, Colorado 80501
(303) 485-8600

Also, you should check out The Whiskey Bar at The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. Whiskey Bar
Killer bourbon selection that you can taste from and find what you like!

Cheers and I also agree on the Parker’s. Great stuff at that price, and very special.

Run there and buy it all. Right now! :wink:

I can give a big second to PJ’s. Great store. Found me some Monkey 47 Gin at a great price too! Talk to Paul.

I recommend buying 3 if not 4 bottles for the price of that one, especially as you are developing your palate.

Thanks so much for the information. I’ll get down to PJ’s soon. So far, I’ve got him one bottle of the Parker’s Heritage, and one bottle of the Monkey 47 Gin. Considering including a Willett 7 Year Rye, as well.

If you happen to be going near Colorado Springs, Cheers Liquor Mart looks like they have some great stuff. You’ll definitely want to call before you make the trek though. It looks like they might have (show in stock, but I would call to see if the web inventory is current) George T. Stagg, Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch, William Larue Weller, etc. I wish I was in that neighborhood!

Willett 7 y/o rye is good stuff. Picked up some bottles myself. Kinda overpriced as all Willett is, but tasty.

Also, I thought I was the only Jkim!!! :wink: