Best $100 (or less) Cognac or Armagnac

Taking thoughts on the best buy in Cognac or Armagnac for $100 or less. Okay, and maybe slightly more.

Thanks!

K&L is importing some amazing direct import stuff that you won’t find anywhere else. Their buyer blogs about it extensively at spiritsjournal.klwines.com.

Widely available, Martell Cordon Blue takes some beating.

But value in Cognac is all in smaller house XOs.

Thanks guys. Thanks Daniel for pointing me at K&L. Ironically had been on their site earlier looking at Rye, but didn’t get anything. However, they have Domaine de Baraillon, a 20 year exclusive blend. About ten years ago friends and I LOVED the '82, '84 and '85. So I happily grabbed the 20 year to try it out. Price is about what I paid then for the vintage. Curious to see how my much more experienced palate responds to what was once a revelatory spirit.

Russell, I’ve heard good things about the Cordon Bleu, though it’s usually about 120 here.

Given your fond memories of Baraillon, you should get a kick out of this blog with photos:

That’s great! I’ve had some amazing ones back in the day. And after reading that I do realize that there was extreme variation as well!

My favorite by a wide margin: Jean Fillioux Tres Vieux.

Well back in second: Delamain Pale & Dry XO.

Third: Frapin XO Chateau Fontpinot.

Fourth: Tesseron Lot 76.

I’ll second the Baraillon and add the Ognoas: Domaine d' Ognoas K&L Exclusive XO Armagnac (750ml) - SKU 1170922

Paul. I literally ordered the Baraillon and the Ognoas! Arrived yesterday.

I was also tempted by the vintage Thorin, 2002, and some others, but limited myself to two for the time being.

Strong move!

Hey what did you think? I am eyeing those two based on the recs.

Thanks

Scott

Not strictly cognac but check out Germain Robin XO

Available around 110

Fantastic smooth cognac, i would recommend even if it is American

Trying to keep my hands off these a bit as they will feature in Thanksgiving desert and whatnot. So, I haven’t tried the Baraillon 20 yet, though as I mentioned earlier I have loved the vintage bottlings of 82, 84 and 85 that I had years ago. I’m expecting good things. The Ognoas I’ve tried only once and thought that it was very smooth, very rich, and a very good value at $50. It didn’t wow me like Baraillon has in the past but I still liked it a bit. Could use a bit more proof maybe. I will report back on a confirmatory testing and add a note on the Baraillon. Initial feeling on the Ognoas is excellent value and very nice, rich, smooth brandy.

I have found GR to be very good on the whole, but also quite variable. I’ve had bottles of the entry level (what I think they now call Craft Brandy or something?) that were as good as the XO. In any case, very nice stuff but hasn’t sold me away from French brandy. Do like it though and widespread availability is a huge plus, as is the fact that they sell 375s.

So the Baraillon is clearly the superior spirit to the Ognoas, but also a completely different animal. The Ognoas is rich and refined almost to the point of being a bit dull. The Baraillon is tremendously Armagnac. Hot spirit (forgot to check the ABV but remember that the vintage offerings I’ve had were about 95 proof, so not outrageous) followed by toffee and butterscotch nose and a streak of red cherry. This is a nice spirit and a good value, but it, as opposed to the Ognoas, could use a bit of refinement! Or at least, the fruit and sweetness are a bit overpowered by the alcohol. So the answer, perhaps, is that while both are excellent, the vintage Baraillon (though more expensive) may be where one finds the mix of personality and refinement. A thought though, this did improve with a bit of air and the alcohol may tame a bit once it’s been open awhile. Also, we usually drink brandy after wine, which may ease the transition a bit, whereas this time we simply had this as a nightcap after not drinking anything prior. That can certainly affect things, allowing for more clarity but perhaps also allowing for more palate shock from dominant alcohol.

Great notes Michael!

K&L does have vintage Ognoas from time to time. I have a 2000 that’s light’s out.

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1094528

Great price on that too Paul! They had a Baraillon '94 that was tempting too. I intend to grab cognac next for some direct comparison. They have a Thorin 2002 that was described to me as being really something special but also quite stripped down and different, very fruity. Any experience there?

I have not had it. My cognac experience is limited to the big houses. I find Armagnac to be more complex and a significantly better value than cognac.