Boston Breweries?

We’ll be in Boston for a day before heading north west to New Hampshire. Might have time for 1 or 2 brewery stops.

Go!

Jason

Cambridge Brewing Company (CBC) and Trillium. Jack’s Abby in Framingham if your willing to drive a bit.

Also Idle Hands brewery in Everett.

I’ll give a second nod to Trillium. I have not visited but have heard good things from those I would trust as to such things. I have, however, tasted several of their beers and found them to be quite good. I understand the brewery can be quite crowded and loud at times.

Also, you may want to check out Mystic Brewery in Chelsea Mass. Their beers are not all to my liking but they sure are interesting. Again, have not been to the tap room/brewery so can not comment on the scene. In the “for what it’s worth category”, they use square fermenters.

My understanding is that MA law only allows a brewery to fill a labelled growler from that brewery.

If you can drive around, I would definitely hit Mystic (in Chelsea). Gerry’s suggestion of Idle Hands is a good one too (and you can also hit Night Shift since it is right next door to Idle Hands — they share a space). Driving to all three of these (which can be done within a few minutes) is locally known as the “Beermuda Triangle.” Haha

Trillium in town is a great idea. Harpoon is also in town and pours most of their beers at the bar (with great pretzels!)

Whoops - and I just noticed T’s suggestion of Mystic prior to mine. Definitely one to hit, though I do like their lighter-styled beers. Their “Table Beer”, “Mystic Saison”, and “Inconceivable” are delicious. I am not crazy about the heavier, darker, higher alcohol or just plain strange brews at all though…

Thanks for the tips. I looked like I was not going to be able to hit any breweries and then I ended up driving through Chelsea (Elvis Costello stuck in my head) and remembered Mystic. Caught it near it near closing and really enjoyed the beers. Cool little place with really bad signage.

Throughout the trip I stuck to beers I couldn’t get in California with generally poor results, but did have the IPA from Cisco that I thought was terrific.

Jason

What did you taste at Mystic?

I enjoy their Wigglesworth India Wharf Pale Ale. A nice ale without being overpowering on the bitterness and abv scale.

I had the Wigglesworth and really liked it.

Also

Three Cranes - Very tasty.

Vinland Three - A very good American Dubbel.

Melissa - I was there with my employee named Melisa, so this was close enough and I had to try. This was a terrific beer. I wish they had bottles.

Table Beer - An excellent saison.

Cheers,

Jason