Farmhouse or Saison ale recs

Let’s get a discussion going on some good recs for these ales. I’m particularly interested in finding more US versions to try since I know most of the Belgian ones by now. It doesn’t seem to be a hot item around here, IPA is clearly what most of the SC breweries are focusing on.

Tank 7 is still my standard favorite ,as is the Saison Brett, both from Boulevard.
Logsdon has a really good Seizon Bretta and their wheat beer (Kili Wit) is also in a Saison style. Their regular Seizon is less interesting. Btw I’ve also has a great tripel from Logsdon on tap that I hope is also bottled.
Other worthies are:
Firestone Opal.
Northeast Brewing, La Merle.
Great Divide, Collette (it’s a bit too unctuous, though).
Green Flash used to make a Saison Diego, but I haven’t seen it in a while.

So what are people drinking?

Does Stillwater out of Baltimore get distributed in CA? The bulk of beers they make are Saison/Farmhouse. Sofie by Goose Island is a good example as well.

I certainly don’t know Stillwater. We get plenty of Goose Island and I’ve tried them. Somehow I’ve never fallen in love with them.

Epic makes a nice Saison.

Funkwerks out of Ft Collins Colorado. I think it’s all they do and they are great.

Here’s a slew of them:

Logsdon & Upright remain our OR favorites.

+1. Would also highly recommend The Commons Brewery. Have tried and really enjoyed pFriem and Crux Fermentation Project as well, but IMO they are a step below the aforementioned.

Stillwater is distributed out here, so I would think you could get them in your area. They’re really good beers. I like the Allagash Saison well enough too, more than a lot of the domestic ones I’ve tried. Pretty Things Jack d’Or is tasty, but I doubt you’ll find that in CA.

Found Stillwater and Commons at K&L so I’ll get some of those. I don’t see Upright or Funkwerks at my usual places.
Doug, Also found Pretty Things Jack d’Or! They also have another MA called Mystic, is that good?

Btw Societe had a great Sage Farmhouse ale when we were there, but it was not for sale, tap only.

Not sure if they are distributed in CA, but I enjoyed the Crooked Stave Saisons when in Denver last month.

Crooked Stave is easy to get and I really like it, but the price is a bit steep.

Went to K&L and got a bunch. Talked to the beer person and she said she had quadrupeled the farmhouse/saison/sour section. No kidding, it was probably 50+% of their inventory. Great selection.
I like that several of them are lower in alc. Stillwater in particular. Common is also relatively low as were the MA Saisons.
Also got what I hope are some good recs on a few civilized IPAs.

And everyone laughed at me three years ago when I asked “Is Sour the new IPA?”…

I just had the best non fruit added saison/sour I have ever had from an American brewery, the Full Pint Cuvée Versailles. I have a growler in the fridge and will drink it in the cabin this coming week. This is the real deal- sour, balanced, just enough funk, complex, very drinkable.

I think the evidence will show that I did not. [highfive.gif]

Most of the ones I’d recommend have already been mentioned by others, as well as by you in your OP, Peter.

fwiw: some Total Wine locations carry some of Upright’s beers.

Jolly Pumpkin’s “Bam Biere” Farmhouse ale is super refreshing and delicious — slightly tart — but quite quaffable at a mere 4.2% abv.

Tried a nice Saison from Dogfish Head.?Herbal infused making it quite interesting. Also quite refreshing with a hint of lemon. Comes in 12oz for when you just want a little something.

Barrel aged Lil Opal… yum wish it was avail more often

Looked at Jolly Pumpkin and was afraid that it was based on pumpkin.