Any good beers to check out in Ohio?

Heading out to Columbus for a few days. Anything I should make a point to check out that can’t be had on the East Coast? Definitely looking for some 3 Floyds.

Off the top of my head, great breweries out of OH are Hoppin Frog, Great Lakes and Jackie O. I think Jackie O might be the only one that doesn’t distro out to NJ.

Hmm… I don’t know what makes it out to the East Coast or not. I have seen that Full Pint is making its way into Ohio, so if you see some of that, give it a try.

Columbus brewing co
The Brew Kettle
Fatheads

These quickly come mind. They make some brilliant ipa’s and some the other styles are of high quality

Are you looking for bottles to take home or brewpubs/taps?

Three Floyds has inconsistent distribution in Ohio. I can find out what is currently around and where it might be, if you wish.

Columbus Brewing Company’s Bodhi (dIPA) I would have put in the upper tier in the US until recently. Something changed, I think (and they sort of confirmed.) Still really good. Available only on tap.

Fatheads, agreed.

Jackie O’s is not my favorite, but is highly praised.

Rockmill Brewery is doing saison-styles.

I like Brew Kettle, but really thing their beers are better there than when I have had elsewhere and I don’t often feel that strongly on that. White Rajah is my fav.

(The following are less my opinion and are from a beer geek friend answering the question of what CMH/OH beers to recommend someone from NJ.)

Columbus Creeper from CBC.

Hoofhearted - anything. IPA/Saisons esp.

Thirsty Dog - Siberian Night.

A.

Seconding a lot of what’s been said but IMO
Bodhi is the best double IPA in the state (draft only)
Head hunter and white rajah are the best IPA (white rajah better fresh on draft, headhunter seems to hold up in bottles)
Jackie O’s does some great barrel stuff (tough find)
Great Lakes is the most well rounded and solid but not usually exciting in the current experimental vein.

If you are coming this weekend and have a free day, it is cleveland beer week. There is most likely a 3 Floyd’s tap takeover somewhere.

I wish we had a place like thedailygrowler.com here in cleveland.

I agree with this, and would particularly recommend their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.

Do you get Bell’s in NJ? If not, I’d look for that (should be easy to find, I’d think). You know, now that I think about it a bit more, I’d be more on the lookout for MI beers than OH beers, despite where you’ll be; lots of fantastic stuff going on in MI.

To follow-on Brian’s MI rec…
Short’s makes some good beer.
Short’s Soft Parade is a fruity beer that I didn’t reall ycare for a couple years ago out of bottle, but last week on tap I just thought it was awesome.
Shorts’ Bonafide Legit is an IPA made with MI grown barley and hops. Quite good last night.
Short’s Huma Lupa Licious is probably their best known beer, and IPA.

I’ve always enjoyed Bell’s Brown Ale and Two Hearted.

Both Bell’s and Short’s have huge lineups.

Short’s doesn’t come to Ohio. They are proudly MI only.

Bell’s has nationwide distributing now, doesn’t it? Oberon has become what Sam Adams was in the 80s, it seems.

The Bells Mars Planet series IPA seems to be in short supply around the country but I see it in stores at least in Cleveland.

Thanks for the help was on the move for most of the trip so didn’t get to do any real shopping. Tried IPA’s from Columbus Brewing and Seventh Son both of which were very good. This place was a wonderful stop http://www.columbusbodega.com/. They had 2 different collaborations from the Sierra Beer Camp Series on Tap while I was there, including the Sierra/Ninkasi Double Latte.

BTW, Bell’s does get to the East Coast but not NJ. I am able to pick some up since I work in downtown NYC though.

We had dinner at Seventh son last spring, and found their beer to be quite nice. I highly recommend it.