25 Mc Callan

I received a bottle as a birthday gift, and am wondering how long after I open a bottle like this will it be drinkable. I love this stuff but really have only had the 18 before and it took me two years to get through that. I thought it fell off on flavor and mouthfeel as it got more open time.

Does anyone have any insight on how to keep this bottle at or near its peak after opening.

I wouldn’t hesitate to draw it out over a good handful of years.

I was gifted a snifter of this in 1997…and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Enjoy it, share it…share it!!!

dying to try it. can i send you a tiny bottle to pour some in?

could you add glass marbles to keep the headspace tiny?

Of course

Mac25 is one of my all time favorites. Enjoy it!

I’ve wondered if I should do this. I assume ethanol in spirits oxidizes the same way it does in wine?

I know nothing of whiskey/bourbon making process, but saw stats on the BTAC for this year showing >50% lost to evaporation. Combine that with rickhouses stacked so deep and thick you can’t possibly top barrels - how do these barrels not rot with acetaldehyde?

Decant it into smaller, clean bottles every now and then. Depending on the seal, evaporation and oxidation will degrade the whisky over time.

Totally agree. That said, we’ve had bottles open 10 years or more which were still kicking. Just maybe not as hard. :slight_smile:

Seems like drawing it out over a few years would be the definition of hesitating. But it’s not like this will really stay in the house that long in the first place, right?

Still cant bring myself to open it.

I did however get a bottle of Gran Manier 1880 for an anniversary present this weekend and promptly opened that.

Hard to detect the orange in that blend, but the cognac is outstanding (not that I have had a great deal of higher end cognac)

[scratch.gif] Either I don’t get your joke(?) or you don’t get my post. My post essentially means, “Go ahead and drink the bottle over a handful of years.”

Looks like K&L has this in-stock right now, at a rather absurd price, imo:
http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=620022

Brian,
It was a poorly executed joke about using the terms “wouldn’t hesitate” and “over a few years” in the same sentence.