Bruichladdich Octomore

I tasted this for the first time a couple of days ago, and I’m still trying to work out why it’s so damn expensive? I understand it’s one of the peatiest whiskies available but surely that’s not the reason for the ridiculous pricing. It’s only aged 5 years, so that’s not it either. Anyone able to explain this to me, because I just don’t understand it.

stunt whisky.

I just had this last Saturday as well with fellow board members Mike Grammer, Jay Shampur and Jeff Wong and was none too impressed either.

“none too impressed” …

Haha! You’re far too kind, Tran.

The 02.2 Orpheus is one of my favorite whiskies ever. I don’t buy all of the Octomore releases but I think some of them are very good.

As for the price, I’m guessing this, along with Port Charlotte and the 2009 & 2010 versions of Ardbeg Supernova were one-upping each other with the high peat levels and were all priced in similar fashion. As demand increased for the earlier releases (which were actually quite limited), prices rose accordingly. Nowadays I don’t know what the demand and production levels are like.