My 5 Star Beers On Untappd

I try to be good about doing the star thing on Untappd, for my own reference but i don’t always do it. That said, here are the beers that currently have 5 stars for me. I have 1,356 unique check ins. I hope there is not the same pretension on the beer side as on the wine side of things. From the anti scoring folks, that is.

Damnation - Russian River Brewing Company

Trappistes Rochefort 10 Abbaye Notre-Dame de Saint-Rémy

Marrón Acidifié - The Bruery

Tart of Darkness - The Bruery

Just Outstanding IPA - Kern River Brewing Company (this one is random. Not 5 stars in my mind but I must have had a perfect experience)

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Black Butte XXIII - Deschutes Brewery

Saison-Brett (2012) - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien (2011) BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes)

Spank Pepper Stout - Fort George Brewery

Apricot Ale - Cascade Brewing Company (USA)

Consecration (Batch 006) - Russian River Brewing Company

Cheers,

Jason

I assume this is one of the stats you can access for being a supporter? I haven’t done that yet, what other stats and perks do you get?

As for five star beers, I know I have way more than that with only about 500 uniques. Maybe I’m an easy grader but I have also drank a lot of killer brews.

In any case that is a sweet list of beers Jason.

You’re a hard grader Jason, or I’m an easy one. I have 103 five starred beers within 1,293 distinct check-ins.

I don’t typically rate my beers but I’ve only had two that I’d give five stars to: Russian River Consecration and Allagash Coolship Cerise. Honorable mention to the Seattle Homebrew Club Sour which is easily the best non commercial beer I’ve ever had and better than most of the commercial ones too…

I’m not a supporter. I did it from the web page. On the right there is a top beers list with the option to see more beers. And then I sorted it.

Yeah my list seems very low. I know I have tasted more beers that I would consider 5 stars but haven’t scored them.

Jason

Thanks, just checked that out.

Looks like I have about 90 five star beers, maybe I am an easy grader. However: Something like 12 beers are Enjoy By which is one beer as far as I’m concerned. Also most beers from top echelon breweries such as Alpine, Societe, Beachwood, Russian River, The Bruery, AleSmith, Cantillon, etc. are gonna be five stars when I review them as they are basically variations on a killer house style of IPA, stout, sour or whatever it may be. Probably around 5-10 beers from each of those. I guess five star breweries might be more useful for me, in that case I have around 20.

Well hell - taking a look at my 5 stars, it appears that I tend to give a higher rating based on the situation for some things:
Rainier - Guys weekend in Bend. We had a blind tasting challenge of hipster beers. This was 4th of 6th. Still got 5 stars for situation.

Westy 12 - Drank this in Belgium with the wife after we did a bike tour around the canals. Last night in Brugge as well. I brought a few of these home and cracked one in celebration for the Seahawks’ Super Bowl Victory - Go 12 man!

Miller Lite - Celebrated my wife’s grandfather’s 90th birthday. WWII Purple Heart/Silver Star recipient. Goal in life was to see his 90th. He did this past June. Passed away in July.

Augustiner-Bräu Wagner Pils - First beer in Oktoberfest in Munich. Damn straight it’s getting 5 stars!

And my “true” 5 stars:
Hair of the Dog Blue Dot 2013 - OK, this was just a good f’n beer.
Firestone Walker Parabola 2012 & 2011 - people…you drop $50 on a bottle of wine. Drop $15-$18 for this bottle of beer. You will thank me.
Deschutes Abyss 2012 - See above. I really wish I had more of this left than I do.
Kern River Citra - I love IPA. LOVE ipa. This is the only one I have ever given 5 stars to. Perfectly balanced and over the top.

I’m a way easy grader. Stuff like fresh Pliny truly cannot get any better IMO. Tom- Parabola def fits that as well .

Alpine, Duet
Hornbeer, Happy Hoppy Viking
If we count stuff that I had more than a taste of by now.
Runner up: Boulevard, Saison Brett '13, drunk in '14
There were some stunning beers at the Beachwood tasting we did. But those just count as tastes.

I’m a pretty easy grader for beers, so I have tons of 5 star beers.

That said, I’m not shy about throwing-out really low scores, either, (i.e. half a star, one star) so I guess I just use the entire scale for beer more than I do for wine. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have no problem drainpouring a crappy beer as it usually wasn’t expensive, so I don’t end up with much to rate on the low scale .

I’m at 575 unique check-ins. I thought I was doing OK but compared to some of you guys, I have a LOT more to drink! My top rated beers are:

Biere de Mars - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout (2013) - Goose Island
Bourbon Fred From The Wood - Hair Of The Dog
Brother Thelonious - North Coast
Chimay Bleue (Grande Reserve)
Curieux - Allagash
Alvinne Cuvee d’Erpigny - Picobrouwerij Alvinne
Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue) - Brouwerij Het Anker
Duvel Tripel Hop (2013) - Duvel Moortgat
Excelsior! Brute - Ithaca Beer Company
Fuego del Otono - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
Green Diamonds - Other Half Brewing
Heady Topper - The Alchemist
Hi-Res - Sixpoint Brewery
Hop Savant - Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project
Jai Alai IPA - Cigar City Brewing
James Bean - Allagash Brewing Company
Kujo Imperial Coffee Stout - Flying Dog Brewery
Liefmans Cuvee Brut - Brouwerij Liefmans
Moralite - Brasserie Dieu du Ciel
Nebuchadnezzar - Omnipollo
Noble Rot - Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Other Half IPA - Other Half Brewing
Pliny the Elder - Russian River Brewing Company
Rigor Mortis Abt - Brasserie Dieu du Ciel
Samichlaus Helles - Schloss Eggenberg
Simple Sour - Peekskill Brewery
Stone Enjoy By 02.14.14 IPA - Stone Brewing Co.
Swedish Barley Wine-Style Ale - Nils Oscar
Trappist Westvleteren 12
Wheat Wine - Other Half Brewing
Wicked Elf Porter - The Little Brewing Company
2008 Vintage Oak Aged Ale (Barrel No 96) - Brouwerij Rodenbach
Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Company
Rodenbach Grand Cru - Brouwerij Rodenbach
Trappistes Rochefort 8