Ne Plus Ultra Dewar's old bottle?

My wife’s uncle liked Scotch, but he died a while back. My wife’s aunt does not drink Scotch and has decided to give us one old bottle each time my wife visits. This time she received this bottle:
Ne Plus Ultra.jpg
This is not the actual bottle, her label is in a little better shape, but otherwise it is identical.

Can anyone tell me anything about this? Should it be good? Any idea of the value?

Some internet searching suggests it’s worth $100 - $500. Originally, it would have come with a box, too.

I cracked a ‘regular’ magnum of Dewars circa 1986, back then the main components were Islay and mostly fantastic, I say open it and it should be unreal, especially if you can ‘only’ get about $400 for it, that barely covers a bottle of your favorite Barolo these days.

Ken, any idea on the decade of bottling? That’ll narrow down its value, but the guys are correct that $400ish is a good price, but not the highest (especially if the label and fill are in excellent condition).

Thanks all. It is in excellent condition all around. I don’t know when it was bottled. The only hint I have is that it lists the volume in ounces (not ml) and does not have the alcohol % anywhere. According to what I read, the oldest bottles have neither. My best guess is that this is from the 1950s or 60s, but I don’t know for sure.

Old blends can be revelatory. As a rule, most things in life weren’t better in the ‘good old days.’ Scotch Whisky, blends and malts, is an exception to the rule.

I am happy to report that my wife decided to open this to celebrate the solstice. I can tell you I’ve never had anything like it. Mellow and soft and complex. Simply amazing.

I got a bottle as a gift from a MS who I helped steer into surgery. He is a transplant surgeon, NC I think. I have no idea what became if the blue ceramic bottle it was in. Might have regifted this!