TN: Barterhouse Orphan Barrel 20 year old Kentucky Bourbon

I am not sure if I got the story correct on this, but supposedly this is made from barrels that, other than due to a change in ownership, would have become Pappy van Winkle.

In my considered opinion, this is excellent bourbon. A little more hot and peaty than perfect, but dang good. [welldone.gif]

That’s the story that the brand’s owner, Diageo, wanted you to believe but it’s not the truth. Diageo bought the Stitzel-Weller distillery - source of the whiskies that were bottled under the Pappy name - but they’ve never made any whisky there. Barterhouse (and the other Bourbons in the “Orphan Barrel” series, such as Rhetoric) were made somewhere else, trucked in for a period of aging in the Stitzel-Weller warehouse, then trucked to Tennessee to be bottled. They bear absolutely no relation to Pappy.

You mean Diaego lied? [mouth-drop.gif]

Well, I like it anyway.

it’s funny how - as it relates to this specific bourbon - that everyone knows it’s bullshit. every time it’s spoken about, even by those selling it, it’s derided as nonsense.

The closest thing to Pappy that is not Pappy would be older releases of Willett and Very Old St. Nick. Guess what? It is priced just like Pappy on the secondary. The links between these brands are verified.