Bourbon at Highest Production Levels Since 1977

Boozehounds,

Several news outlets reporting that US bourbon makers filled 1.2 million barrels last year creating a total stockpile of over 5 million barrels, the first time this has happened since 1977. Last time this happened, there was apparently a crash as Scotch whiskey and other spirits really took off. This time, the worldwide demand seems insatiable. US producers have had to spend $50 million plus on labor and equipment upgrades for warehouses, barrels, bottling lines, etc.

Seems like a good time to be a bourbon fan… but given these amounts there is no excuse to me for not being able to get reasonable amounts of high-enders like Jefferson’s, Pappy’s and the BTAC. Or for Maker’s Mark to be watering down their bourbon.

Well, barrels filled today won’t be bourbon for another 8 years (give or take). My understanding is that finished bourbon production doesn’t come close to keeping up with demand today. For the last 6-9 months (if not longer), I’ve had a tough time finding my standards- primarily Blantons and most recently Johnny Drum. The Drum may just be a temporary stocking issue with my local supplier, but they haven’t had Blantons for a while. Was pretty easy to find in Louisville last time I was there though.