Beers in Connecticut?

I’m in new haven for the week. Any CT breweries I should be drinking? I may or may not have time to visit the brewery but would definitely like to know what to look out for on tap.

Scott

Two Roads (Stratford) & New England Brewing Co (Woodbridge) are at the top of the short list right now!

Jorge has it right. Here is a helpful link in case you do decide to visit breweries though:

http://ctbeertrail.net/page/breweries-1

Thanks John. Also forgot to mention Beer’d. Definitely should be a stop.

I would reserve a night each for Frank Pepe’s and Sally’s Apizza and drink whatever local stuff they have on tap.

The “best” you’ll find at Pepe’s is Sam Adams seasonal (at least in the one in Westchester). They don’t need the “craft beer” crowd.

If it’s a nice night and you feel like taking a short drive, grab some bottles and head to The Place in Guilford. I grew up in Guilford and find it to be very charming. It’s an outdoor BYO seafood restaurant. Very rustic.

I tried visiting New England Brewing back in December but had bad luck. They put up a “be back in two hours” sign… It is very close to New Haven.

Agree with NEBCO. Gandhi-Bot is so good.

Fabulous! I picked up a NEBCO elm city pils that was solid. Also had a Belgian golden ale that looked good --668 or something. I’ll try to find the Gandhi bot :slight_smile:

I went to med school here so I’ve been to Sally’s and pepes a bunch but I’ll tell you what, the only pizza place we come back to is BAR.

Love the place :slight_smile:

I’ll try two roads too

Thanks

Scott

I haven’t been to Bar. What makes it better than Pepe’s? People would always tell me that Modern is better and I never thought so. Would live to have a burger at Louis Lunch right about now…

Louie’s is great :slight_smile: it’s been forever since I’ve gone – I can never remember when it’s open.

I always found pepes average pizza. Ends up soggy fast, they use a bunch of canned ingredients, just nothing special. BAR has interesting combinations, fresher ingredients and better crust. It’s not the worlds best pizza or anything, I just find it my favorite in new haven. I never liked modern at all.

Before this dissolves into a pepe/Sally dispute let me add the disclaimer that I haven’t lived there since 2002 and only return once a year or so :slight_smile:

Which of the two roads beers should I try?

Scott

Scott,

Two Roads makes quite a number of beers for being roughly 2 & half years old. They also contract brew for Evil Twin & Lawson’s among other well-renowned names. I went to their sour beer release (phenomenal by the way) earlier this year and tried quite a few things. Among the ones I liked a lot:

ROAD JAM RASPBERRY WHEAT
HIZZONER MAIBOCK
CONNTUCKY LIGHTNIN’
RYE 95
ROAD 2 RUIN DOUBLE IPA
WORKERS COMP SAISON
HONEYSPOT ROAD WHITE IPA

Here’s what’s on tap now:

July 22nd
Honeyspot Road White IPA 6.0% abv
Lil Heaven Session IPA 4.8% abv
No Limits Hefeweizen 5.0% abv
Ol’ Factory Dry Hopped Pilsner 5.0% abv
Road Jam 5.0% abv
Worker’s Comp Saison 4.8% abv
Via Cordis Abbey Blonde 5.2% abv
Road 2 Ruin Double IPA 8.0% abv

Any further info is found here: http://tworoadsbrewing.com/

Good luck and have fun.

I grew up a stone’s throw away from Two Roads and visited when I was back home a few weeks ago.
Of the beers Jorge posted currently on tap, we tried all but the Via Cordis and Road Jam.
The Lil Heaven and Road 2 Ruin were faves, but I’m an IPA fan.
All solid beers, though, wasn’t totally crazy about the Saison.
Tried to visit New England the next day, but forgot it was release day for their new weiss beer and thirty minutes after they opened the line was already two hours long. Went to Pepe’s instead.
Ghandi Bot is awesome!

Went to Kitchen Zinc (pizza that is delfina in sf style if not quality) and had a couple two roads beers.

Had the pilsner which was great. Better than the NEBCO Elm City and one of the better US pilsners I’ve had. Like my ideal lighter styled but flavorful summer beer.

Also had the white IPA which was only so so. I much preferred the Deschutes Chainbreaker white IPA.

Stopped by NEBCO yesterday but they were closed at like 2 because it was growler fill up day and they were out of beer :slight_smile:

Scott

NEBCO was finally open today so I had the 668 Golden Belgian Ale and the Ghandi Bot.

The 668 was terrific. Might have even been better than the Pranqster which I really enjoy.

I’m not a big IPA or DIPA guy but even so, the Ghandi Bot was quite good. A bit too bitter for my taste but remarkably refreshing.

Scott

I’m just back from brewery (and beer bar) hopping around New England (after hitting the Vermont Brewfest in Burlington.)
Well, after all of these posts, you know to hit Two Roads. I did. They are doing a nice job. Neat warehouse building operation that they have. My one negative is that the tasting “room/hall” is freakin hot and humid! Beers warm up quickly. (I was there on July 23rd.) And it’s not pleasant to be served by a beertender that’s sweating a storm.
Tried hitting NE Brewing after that. They had a sign posted saying they were closed today because they “ran out of beer.” Damn! It was my friend’s second attempt to visit (on a day they were supposed to be open.)
What no one has mentioned here is Firefly Hollow in Bristol. I was unable to attend, but did taste their Wheat at (I think) Cask Republic (which is in New Haven!) . It intriqued me enough to want to visit whenever I get out there next.
Also hit Mikro in Hamden for more sampling. McLadden’s in West Hartford has a great selection too. On a large DIGITAL screen no less. That was kind of neat. The place smells like…oh I won’t say.

Enjoy!
Eric

And if you make it to Firefly and want to sample more, then hit Barley Vine. We did a 12 beer flight with some good stuff on tap, like Captain’s Reserve, if you like that, and Founders, which we don’t get out here. Was impressed by Otter Creek’s Fresh Slice IPA. Ended up visiting OC as well and was impressed with how they have UP’ed their game! (Can’t say the same for Long Trail.)

Had a glass of Road 2 Ruin today that I enjoyed quite a bit. Also had one from Thimble Island and Stony Creek. Nothing remarkable. I’m amazed at the number of breweries popping up around here. I fear this rate of growth is not sustainable.