Your Gin?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
A S K R O B A C K

Your Gin?

Post #201  Postby A S K R O B A C K » March 25th 2017, 10:25am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: while Old Raj, particularly the higher proof, is quite opinionated. I very much like the saffron aspect of Old Raj
http://www.drinkhacker.com/2009/05/30/r ... -92-proof/

Just found this thread. I agree with Sarah on Old Raj. Wilfred turned me onto it and it is quite distinctive and compelling in a martini.
d r e w s k r o b a c k

Advertisement

A S K R O B A C K

Re: Your Gin?

Post #202  Postby A S K R O B A C K » March 25th 2017, 10:33am

Robert M yers wrote:Im a fan of Hendricks for sure when you want that style, I think it in a class by itself.

It certainly is. It is well made and I recognize why some people like it. However, you have to love cucumber to love Hendricks. I don't, so I dislike it.
d r e w s k r o b a c k
Mark Christenson

Your Gin?

Post #203  Postby Mark Christenson » March 27th 2017, 2:58pm

Funny enough, I hated gin up until a winemaker turned me on to Monkey 47 a few years ago :-)

I love Monkey 47 for G&Ts, combined with Fever Tree (either the Mediterranean or the Elderflower variants) and lime. There's a place in Maastricht that serves theirs with licorice, star anise, juniper berries, and orange peel--it's quite good, but definitely stretching the bounds for somebody who is a "classic" G&T drinker.

I typically use Sipsmith (regular one) for Negronis, but I also like their VJOP, but it's a bit harder to source so I use it more sparingly.

I've tried Aviation, Ballast Point's Old Grove, 209, Hendricks, Tanq Malacca, and Martin Miller's, and like them all to varying degrees, but I keep going back to Monkey 47 (for a super new-style version) and the Sipsmiths (for more traditional London Dry versions) as our house gins.
"...the thrall of reason, f
TR Barry

Your Gin?

Post #204  Postby TR Barry » March 30th 2017, 1:12pm

Around our house many of the previously listed options are favorites. Others that are in regular rotation that I have not seen posted would be:

-Dingle Gin out of the Dingle peninsula in Ireland

-Aria Gin from Portland for everyday G'n'T use

-Gun Club and Hedgetrimmer from Sun Liquor in Seattle. Hedgetrimmer being built as a London Dry Style and Gun Club a Navy Strength I love both of these on their own or as a part of cocktails. Probably my most purchased gin. If you're ever in the Seattle area I recommend visiting the distillery or the sister bar both located in the Capitol Hill neighborhood.
Todd- Lost In The White Room
Sean Devaney

Your Gin?

Post #205  Postby Sean Devaney » April 1st 2017, 8:36am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: The Nordes is good for sipping and for a favorite variation on the G&T made with Albarino.

Oh this sounds so interesting. Care to share your recipe?
Sarah Kirschbaum

Your Gin?

Post #206  Postby Sarah Kirschbaum » April 1st 2017, 3:01pm

Hi Sean - not much of a recipe, really. It's just roughly equal parts Nordes Gin, a decent but not too expensive albarino, and Fever Tree or other good tonic. Garnish with a bay leaf, fresh if possible. I am sure it would still be a good drink with other gins, but the Nordes is what makes this special.

The drink was invented, at least according to them, by Abastos2.0, which is a delightful restaurant in the Santiago de Compostela market in Galicia, Spain.
Sean Devaney

Your Gin?

Post #207  Postby Sean Devaney » April 1st 2017, 11:50pm

Thanks Sarah-will definitely give it a try [cheers.gif]

(Can we get the above gif with a martini glass?)
Chris S p i k e s

Your Gin?

Post #208  Postby Chris S p i k e s » April 3rd 2017, 2:28pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Do try the Blue, Chris. It's special. Made by an Austrian guy, Hans Reisetbauer, who also makes some of the best eau de vie in the world. He's crazy and delightful, and an absolute master.

Sarah, I finally grabbed a bottle of Blue and tried it as a G&T. Unfortunately, it really didn't appeal to me in any special way. It's been a long time since I've made a martini, but perhaps I would like that better.

I chalk this up to different preferences and I'm glad I tried it. It surprised me because our tastes seem to overlap a lot and I expected to love it, but palate's are a funny thing. Thanks for the rec and please keep them coming!
Sarah Kirschbaum

Your Gin?

Post #209  Postby Sarah Kirschbaum » April 5th 2017, 7:10am

Sorry you didn't particularly like it Chris. I have never put it in a G&T, by the way. It's strictly a martini gin for me.
CholakisCN

Your Gin?

Post #210  Postby CholakisCN » April 17th 2017, 8:57am

Chris S p i k e s wrote:
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Do try the Blue, Chris. It's special. Made by an Austrian guy, Hans Reisetbauer, who also makes some of the best eau de vie in the world. He's crazy and delightful, and an absolute master.

Sarah, I finally grabbed a bottle of Blue and tried it as a G&T. Unfortunately, it really didn't appeal to me in any special way. It's been a long time since I've made a martini, but perhaps I would like that better.

I chalk this up to different preferences and I'm glad I tried it. It surprised me because our tastes seem to overlap a lot and I expected to love it, but palate's are a funny thing. Thanks for the rec and please keep them coming!

I gave this a whirl too Sarah.. I can honestly say, I like my Hendrick's more so but the Blue isn't to shabby. Thanks for all the reccomendations.
Cheers,
Chris
Leonard Taylor
SubscriberSubscriber

Your Gin?

Post #211  Postby Leonard Taylor » May 7th 2017, 11:03am

TR Barry wrote:Around our house many of the previously listed options are favorites. Others that are in regular rotation that I have not seen posted would be:

Just returned from a two week trip to Ireland and visited Dingle Distillery. Their gin is the absolute best I ever tasted. Brought a bottle home.
Leonard Taylor
John Osburn
SubscriberSubscriber

Your Gin?

Post #212  Postby John Osburn » May 8th 2017, 2:46pm

Finally tried some Old Raj (the higher strength version) and loved it. Even my wife, a dedicated Beefeater fan, loved it.

Thanks, Sarah!
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Re: Your Gin?

Post #213  Postby Todd F r e n c h » May 8th 2017, 3:28pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Just received notice from the local Bev-Mo that they have Hayman's Old Tom in stock again...guess I need to get some and have a try!

I've been drinking a lot of gin lately, and always Old Tom - love this stuff for cocktails
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)
stewart lancaster

Your Gin?

Post #214  Postby stewart lancaster » May 23rd 2017, 9:49am

For G&T's, I use Barr Hill gin from Vermont. It has honey added. Very tasty
dkwinter

Your Gin?

Post #215  Postby dkwinter » June 22nd 2017, 12:23pm

Lately big on Gin Mare!
Spanish with rosemary, thyme, olive, and basil notes.

Great in Negroni's
davidkwinter
Andrew M c C a b e

Your Gin?

Post #216  Postby Andrew M c C a b e » June 22nd 2017, 12:30pm

Crater lake gin. Very simple juniper forward from oregon.

I also just tried the Napa distillery Gin which is very interesting. They sell it with some tonic syrup and bitters as well to make G&T's. It makes a very interesting G&T. They have a little retail shop in Oxbow Public Market.
Andrew M.
Bill Buitenhuys

Your Gin?

Post #217  Postby Bill Buitenhuys » June 23rd 2017, 11:40am

Andrew M c C a b e wrote:Crater lake gin. Very simple juniper forward from oregon.

I also just tried the Napa distillery Gin which is very interesting. They sell it with some tonic syrup and bitters as well to make G&T's. It makes a very interesting G&T. They have a little retail shop in Oxbow Public Market.
Napa Distillery's bitter tasting bar has most likely the largest selection on the west coast.
itb | @AZBittersLab
Andrew M c C a b e

Your Gin?

Post #218  Postby Andrew M c C a b e » June 25th 2017, 7:41pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
Andrew M c C a b e wrote:Crater lake gin. Very simple juniper forward from oregon.

Napa Distillery's bitter tasting bar has most likely the largest selection on the west coast.

Yep they told me that. I tried a bunch and got some Negroni Bitters from Mister Bitters out of Austrailia. I did see a bunch of AZ Bitters Lab stuff there too! Very familiar with that from the local cocktail bars in Phoenix. I used to get it at Wedge and Bottle in Ahwatukee. Where is the best retail spot now?
Andrew M.
Bill Buitenhuys

Your Gin?

Post #219  Postby Bill Buitenhuys » June 26th 2017, 7:44am

Andrew M c C a b e wrote:I also just tried the Napa distillery Gin which is very interesting. They sell it with some tonic syrup and bitters as well to make G&T's. It makes a very interesting G&T. They have a little retail shop in Oxbow Public Market. Napa Distillery's bitter tasting bar has most likely the largest selection on the west coast.

Yep they told me that. I tried a bunch and got some Negroni Bitters from Mister Bitters out of Austrailia. I did see a bunch of AZ Bitters Lab stuff there too! Very familiar with that from the local cocktail bars in Phoenix. I used to get it at Wedge and Bottle in Ahwatukee. Where is the best retail spot now?
Ohh, the Negroni bitters sound interesting! I definitely miss having Wedge and Bottle around.
All our retail partners are on our website but our full line is at Whole Foods Chandler, Arcadia Premium, Market by Jennifer's, Tracy Dempsey Originals shop (which is closed until 15July), Tops Liquors, I'm sure I'm missing someone! (And we ship anywhere in the US from our web store).
Last edited by Bill Buitenhuys on September 6th 2017, 8:01am, edited 1 time in total.
itb | @AZBittersLab
JulianD

Your Gin?

Post #220  Postby JulianD » July 15th 2017, 2:34pm

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but Fords is my go-to
Davies
TR Barry

Your Gin?

Post #221  Postby TR Barry » July 17th 2017, 3:07pm

Mark Christenson wrote:Funny enough, I hated gin up until a winemaker turned me on to Monkey 47 a few years ago :-)

Found some Monkey 47 at Rocco's in Seattle over the weekend and really enjoy the spectrum of flavor. Definitely adding to the list for the home bar and provides me another choice for nights out on the town.

-Todd
Todd- Lost In The White Room
K John Joseph
SubscriberSubscriber

Your Gin?

Post #222  Postby K John Joseph » July 27th 2017, 9:23am

Leonard Taylor wrote:
TR Barry wrote:Around our house many of the previously listed options are favorites. Others that are in regular rotation that I have not seen posted would be:

Just returned from a two week trip to Ireland and visited Dingle Distillery. Their gin is the absolute best I ever tasted. Brought a bottle home.

I'M SO EXCITED!!! I'm a big gin drinker and will be visiting in mid-August! I'll be able to ride a bike there!
J0hn-J-K4ne
K John Joseph
SubscriberSubscriber

Your Gin?

Post #223  Postby K John Joseph » July 27th 2017, 9:34am

Man, I'm bummed I missed out on much of this thread. It gets so hot here in Dallas that I've actually managed to convert my dad to drinking gin and tonics. It took Monkey 47, but he's on it. Below are some I've enjoyed very much and some a touch less so, of late. You'll probably be able to tell that I'm a big fan of lively aromatics and loaded botanicals.

Go to:
Monkey 47
Berry Bros & Rudd No. 3 London Dry (perfect for a G&T)

Fun Gins:
Opihr - a very aromatic gin with expressive botanicals
Xoriguer Mahon - a lovely spanish gin
St. George's Botanivore
The Botanist 22 - my dad's go to. I enjoy it, but not as much as No. 3 from Berry Bros
Old Raj - like the kafir note, a good gin
Barr Hill - an interesting gin from Vermont...a little different for a change of pace

Martinis Only:
Nolets silver
Plymouth
(but I'd rather have No. 3 over these)
J0hn-J-K4ne
Bill Buitenhuys

Your Gin?

Post #224  Postby Bill Buitenhuys » July 31st 2017, 7:40am

K John Joseph wrote:
Fun Gins:
Opihr - a very aromatic gin with expressive botanicals
Xoriguer Mahon - a lovely spanish gin
St. George's Botanivore
The Botanist 22 - my dad's go to. I enjoy it, but not as much as No. 3 from Berry Bros
Old Raj - like the kafir note, a good gin
Barr Hill - an interesting gin from Vermont...a little different for a change of pace

That Barr Hill gin in a Bees Knees using their (Caledonia Spirits) on-site farmed, raw honey is a pretty wonderful thing.
itb | @AZBittersLab
fred o.
SubscriberSubscriber

Your Gin?

Post #225  Postby fred o. » August 2nd 2017, 9:25am

I've enjoyed trying some of the various Four Pillars gins, they're from Australia. David Driscoll from K&L wrote about them recently, and I've been seeing them around in bars/restaurants as well some other stores in the LA area. I really liked the barrel-aged in a gin & tonic; has lightly rounded vanilla/oak flavors but still has a strong juniper note.
scamhi
SubscriberSubscriber

Your Gin?

Post #226  Postby scamhi » August 2nd 2017, 3:12pm

just opened a bottle of Sipsmith VJOP which stands for Very Junipery Over Proof with Fever tree Indian tonic. Nice drink for a wet, wet NYC day.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam
Steve Gautier
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Your Gin?

Post #227  Postby Steve Gautier » August 2nd 2017, 7:01pm

scamhi wrote:just opened a bottle of Sipsmith VJOP which stands for Very Junipery Over Proof with Fever tree Indian tonic. Nice drink for a wet, wet NYC day.

Good friend of mine who live in London served this with the same tonic and a grapefruit slice. It was very enjoyable.
Avatar photo credit - Carole Meredith
K John Joseph
SubscriberSubscriber

Your Gin?

Post #228  Postby K John Joseph » September 6th 2017, 7:27am

I'm back from a week long stint in Ireland and 4 days around Dingle town. During my time their I had quite a few Dingle Gins with Fever Tree Indian Tonic and limes. I was very excited to try Dingle Gin, but did not think that the gin lived up to expectations. It's a fine gin, but lacked the smoothness and layered complexity of top gins. I thought that while the flavor profile was very nice, it was a middling though interesting gin with fun floral, citrus, and bitter notes. A touch rough hewn. Still, a gin worth trying and a fun experience.
J0hn-J-K4ne
AdamLeigh

Your Gin?

Post #229  Postby AdamLeigh » September 19th 2017, 8:59am

Wanted to add my votes for:

Monkey 47 and Reisetbauer Blue Gin for martinis. Tried both recently back to back and hard to pick a favorite. 3:1 with dolin dry vermouth and orange bitters.

G-vine Floraison for G&T, with an orange slice

Hayman's Old Tom in a martinez, and Bombay or Plymouth for mixing in anything else

Has anyone tried the Nikka Coffey Gin yet?
Andrew Kotowski

Your Gin?

Post #230  Postby Andrew Kotowski » September 24th 2017, 7:35am

Will be in Dublin in two weeks, so will have to pick up some Dingle. New one for me is Bareksten. Made in Norway and definitely worth looking out for. FWIW, I didn't see it in Oslo, but instead grabbed flying out of Copenhagen. Heavy-duty botanical that comes in a 1L bottle.
Attachments
IMG_1796.JPG
IMG_1796.JPG (25.81 KiB) Viewed 225 times
K John Joseph
SubscriberSubscriber

Your Gin?

Post #231  Postby K John Joseph » October 9th 2017, 2:56pm

Anyone had Eden Mill Gin from St. Andrews? I won a bottle of their "Love" gin in a raffle and it's rather interesting and quite well made.
J0hn-J-K4ne
Rich Salsano
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Your Gin?

Post #232  Postby Rich Salsano » October 15th 2017, 5:40am

Not really about a specific gin but after a recent trip to Montreal I have been really into a well made French 75. Anyone have any thoughts on their favorite gin and bubbles to use? I think the one I had in Montreal was made with Hendricks and a NV brut champagne.
Richard Salsano

Return to Beer and Spirits

logo
Food Advertising by