Virginia hotel wine sale question

Are there any Virginia licensees/lawyers out there? I am just curious about a business event which a friend of mine attended yesterday. It was at a big Virginia hotel. At the end of the event the hotel told the hostess that the hostess had to pay for all of the wine she ordered and she had to take the left overs home. These were unopened bottles of California wine that seem to be regularly stocked and easy to sell. I have no idea of the licensing situation of the hotel and I assume they obey the rules. From a legal perspective this means the hotel is allowed to sell for off premise consumption. This is not unheard of but it surprises me. From a consumer’s view, it annoys me because this was not special order wine. The hotel does a lot of volume and has not real extra carrying costs with these easy to find wines. Not a burning issue but can any one shed light on this?

Question answered - hostess told my friend the hotel had a minimum purchase that wasn’t met. It’s a busy place and I understand the minimum. Not a big drinking crowd I suppose. The hotel has the legal ability to sell for off premises consumption.