3D-Printing Wine ITB?

Does the Wine Industry have too much heritage and tradition to use 3D-Printing?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Hello and Thank You for having me.

I am part of a team from San Francisco State University working on a semester-long project. We are testing the fit of a particular high-technology, with the “Winemaking” industry.

For our primary research we have created a survey, which we need respondents for. [This is where you come in :slight_smile:]

We would like to ask for your help in filling out our survey, which will only take a few minutes.

Your help is greatly appreciated! Here is the link:

All results are anonymous, and no information will be made commercial, beyond our professor and our “real-world client” in the 3-d printing industry.

Thank you very much for your time and help. [thankyou.gif]

-SFSU 885 Team

WRT your second question:
What is the size of the organization for which you are associated with in the question above?
I’m assuming you mean number of employees? When asking winemakers the size of their operation, they are most likely to answer with number of cases produced, not number of employees. The range of # of employees for a given size of winery can vary greatly.

I’m so terribly confused by all this. In what capacity would 3D printing be applicable to winemaking?

Also, in reference to the questions specifically about 3-D printing, it was kind of hard to answer the questions at all because I have no idea what 3-D applications you are referring to, with respect to winemaking. Is this to manufacture replacement parts for winery equipment? Some sort of packaging? Wine chotckes to sell in the tasting room? You need to be more specific.

+1

No offense, but I have taken many surveys written by students for class projects, and they are usually pretty poorly written. It’s hard to glean relevant information when you don’t ask the right questions.

Thanks for asking Linda. The applications would be any that one would think of. In my head, it could encompass all of those things! It is really up to each person to decide… Then when we look at the results, we check out a variety of responses and potential uses.

Cheers,

Eric

Lol. I hope ours is not to bad. But yes, deriving the right data is difficult, especially in High-Technology areas where there is great uncertainty.

This one was a last minute addition as requested by our “client”. Is there a better way to ask this? This survey is going out to various interest groups, and I wasn’t quite sure how to word it.

I would definitely appreciate any help champagne.gif

Eric

I guess it would depend on your target audience. Like I said, a winery usually reports in cases/year. A retailer might report in # staff or $ sold/year.
As far as wineries I have worked at, you can produce quite a number of cases per year with either a very small crew, or one that is 2-3x the size of the small crew, so Cases produced would be a better number to report.

Wow! Seems like one pellet in a shotgun market research project hit the wine industry. I’d REALLY love to see a 3D printer make actual wine. Beyond that, this appears to be a spelunking expedition.

Yes! A printer that will print wine. We could just email the file each vintage.

Even better, someone e-mail me the file for 1947 Cheval Blanc, etc. Are you reading Rudy?

Rudy is right now screaming “Why didn’t I think of that!” and banging his head against the bars of his cell.

You guys are so narrow. You can print anything! Cases to ship the wine, Bottles, Synthetic corks! You can print cork screws with your winery logo to pack with every case! You can print crushers and destemmers, Spinning cones! You can print a lifesize wine critic to rate the wine 98+.

Wow.