OK let find out! How many Pappy calls do you get a day?

We hit a new record today 286 calls today as the product was released in IL recently. What kills me is the callers that say “do yo have Pappy Van Winkle?” then when told no just hang up or the ones that then want to do a forensic review of the distribution of the product.

Tell them “Your brother in law bought the last one ten minutes ago!”…

Our new reply is We have tons of it. Which is ALWAYS followed up by the callers reply REALLY? and then we say no but you already knew that.

Wish someone would give me a call offering

Well we finish the day at 289. Guess there is always tomorrow for a new record!

I don’t understand these. I remember having this at a tasting about 5 years ago where they were giving free samples trying to move product. Same thing with Eagle Rare 17 and George Stagg. I went to a liquor store asking about the Eagle Rare 17 last week and was bluntly told that everyone in Minneapolis wants a bottle of this and go away. Quite frankly, they’re not THAT good. I mean, they’re good, but I think some of these people need to discover some good scotch or something… Too much focus on a few small release products.

Off to a slow start today Just 18 calls in the first 2 hours. I do not know how to qualify the 3 Voice mails this am. I am just going to count answered calls.

Way to rally We have 78 call logged today and i have to go so we will have to see how that number goes from here to 10pm. Not one call from a customer that has ever bought anything from us other than Pappy back in 2001-2007. Mostly from people that have no idea even where we are located.

We don’t sell spirits so our calls are for Pliny The Elder. ;o) Feeding frenzy in CA when it is released.

I get called Papi a lot, but it’s usually late at night.

About as many as the ones asking for Cvne Imperial 2004…

That’s funny. I think I might start doing that.

We get this a lot too. Always from customers that have never even been to my store. My rule, If I don’t know you and you are not a regular customer “We don’t have any”, sorry", otherwise lets talk. I’m tired of cherry pickers. I understand, but just tired of them. Not that I have ever done this, well at least for bourbons. Wine, well … [whistle.gif]

Me too! I think we got 5 cases of Pappy 23 alone! neener

All right, let’s whip out the rulers.

Seriously, though, we do get Pappy, but we don’t sell it to random people who call on the phone asking for it. Plus, a lot of the calls we receive are nowhere near the release, when we really don’t have any left.

I just call Larry 10 times a day asking for it.

A guy walked in today for the very first time, reeking of cheap cologne.

Guy: heavy Scottish accent Hey, I’d like to buy two cases of Van Winkle 12 year."
Me: blank stare
Guy: “A store this big, you’ve got it, right? It came out this week. I won a bottle in another store’s raffle and I want some more.”
Me: “We do not. However, we do have a waiting list.”
Guy: “Waiting list? No way… pause How long is it?”
Me: “Ten years, give or take a few months.”
Guy: “You’re kidding.”
Me: “Nope. I can add you, but you have to give me a phone number that will work in a decade.”
Guy: “eff you, man.” leaves

I laughed for a good five minutes.

It doesn’t count when you are talking to yourself, bro.

[rofl.gif]
pepsi
[berserker.gif]

I do most of my daily grocery shopping at Sonoma Market in Sonoma, and the weekly ‘cycle of Pliny’ is amazingly predictable:
Monday-Tuesday: Fresh case of Pliny comes in and is stocked in the beer fridge.
Tuesday-Friday Morning: a few bottles disappear here and there, purchased by locals.
Noon Friday: First tourist lunch rush - 90%-100% of the bottles disappear.
Saturday-Sunday: I’ve overheard several calls asking if they have any Pliny - which is always gone by that point.
Sunday Night - Monday: Tourists leave, the cycle starts all over again…
[popcorn.gif]