So I've graduated college and have 6 years of retail experience

What’s next?

My dilemma is that I make pretty good money where I am now, but I feel like any new job I take will pay less than I make currently. I’d like to move up the chain and get into importing, but that’s not a firm plan.

I have a BA in history with a minor in economics and am happy to work outside of the wine industry, but if I were to stay in wine where could I go next?

Edit: technically I have 4 days of class left before I graduate, but all looks good to pass this class.

Graduate’d’?
Might need to take some more classes. :wink:

You’ll be more marketable by building your wine experience. Go work a harvest for a few weeks. Retail generally leads to wholesale, so spend a few years being a rep in the trenches. Take some risks in life. Follow your gut. And network!

Or, you can just stay where you are if money is your only concern.

Good luck.

do you plan to stay in TX, or will you relocate to stay in the industry?

I’m willing to relocate and I’m setting my target on Chicago and New York. I’ve made some contacts in these cities and I’m feeling them out.

I do have bills to pay and student loan payments start shortly, so yes, money is a concern.

You’ve got the right idea by utilizing contacts of people you meet in the course of work. After 6 years you must know dozens of people that could help you in the direction of working for/as an importer! I was working for a couple wholesalers for a few years after college and was offered a job as an importing rep for a fairly large company; That would’ve paid a very nice sum but required a lot of travel and covering a large territory (the entire mid-Atlantic up to New England).

TL;DR You’re doing it right but there may be periods where your pay isn’t great or the job requirements are crazy taxing. How much do you want it??