Good year, bad year?

I spent 6 years wholesaling wine and always looked forward to the busy holiday selling season.

So how was the market this year for you?

Where I work in Concord, NC a little better than expected but not great. Sufficient to pay overdue bills and get the bank account into the black. This week leading into NYE has been dead. I expect things brighter in Charlotte where The Big Bankers prowl.

Overall, 2010 sales up over 2009 sales but expense increases outpaced sales. Don’t expect great things from 2011, more limping along.

December sales this year will eclipse last years, despite having corporate orders last year and only one this year, who did one third the number purchases. We were surprised by the amount of walk in purchases all month, including this week.

For the year, 2010 looks to be about 7% better than last year. Unfortunately 2009 was down 20% from 2008.

I think 2011 will be a turn around year for us ITB. We’ve learned to carry quality wines at every price range and benefited from some wineries lowering their prices or releasing a “new” entry level wine at the right price.

Edit - quick check

2010 thru Dec 27, compared to 2009

Walk in wine sales: + 11.6 %
Cigars: + 12%
Accessories: + 7.7
Internet Sales: - 7.6%

Marc,

Don’t give up so easy. 2011 is going to be better. Might have to be creative but it will improve. [thumbs-up.gif] [cheers.gif]

Randy,
Why the 2011 optimism? Gut feeling or are you and Carrie better positioned?

Chris,

I think both of us are feeling more optimistic because the last few months people have been spending more and it’s not as much the budget minded purchases that we saw in the last year. Customers aren’t flinching at wine or cigars that are pricier like they had previously, the gifts that were purchased through the holiday season started earlier than normal and were higher dollar items than the typical Caymus type gifts and it never ceases to amaze me how cigar smokers don’t bat an eye at a $30 Padron Anniversario.
I always say, " people will drink & smoke in good and bad times, when times are bad they may be a little more budget minded but they drink & smoke in celebration and drink and smoke to drown their woes ".

Perfect example, a few of our customers that were laid off or lost their jobs have still been in here buying cigars and commenting about being out of work !

I expect to get laid off soon… but I’m still planning on buying from NVW&C!!!

Good to see wine retail is rockin’ - that makes things promising for The Wine Check!

Too bad non-essential retail (musical instruments) is TERRIBLE, still…ugh.

of sales about the same from two years ago but $ spent per sale is down about 10%. The snow storm last year before Christmas probably cost us about $10K-$15K alone from parties and social gatherings that were canceled and not rescheduled. People still came in and bought wine and beer presents last minute, but many office/department/friendly get-togethers never happened.

Carrie and Randy,
Thanks for the reply. Here’s to wishing you guys success in 2011. [cheers.gif]

Thanks Chris,

I can say that 1 month in, 2011 has started very good. January so far has been one of our better January’s in 9 years. Fortunately the weather for the last 15 days has been exceptional and probably helped. I hope all retailers & wineries, along with other businesses are having as good of a start to their New Year.
[cheers.gif]

market to the asians, they love a good deal! As you know all Chinese are forced to play a musical instrument at a young age!

Things are strong for us…we look forward to more good things in 2011.