delivery guy dress code

Minor issue but I would like some opinions on how the delivery driver is perceived. Our drivers are good guys, polite, show up on time, don’t generate customer complaints. Would it help the company if the drivers dressed a little better? They don’t dress badly - jeans and a t shirt. One customer said he does not care how the driver dresses especially since the driver is moving heavy stuff all day, why should they be dressed nicely? I would kind of like to see a company polo shirt with some standard work pants. The big companies like UPS all seem to do it. Why not a smaller one like ours? Or am I just looking for a problem where no problem exists?

I think so. If there really is a “problem” then it’s on the customer’s end. Unless the guy looks like someone T-Bone would consider dating (or Flavor Flav), then it shouldn’t be an issue. And this is coming from a guy who get made fun of for wearing madras shorts! [wink.gif]

Hey now! But back on topic, I think if your driver is courteous and fairly clean looking, physical work attire (shorts/T-Shirt) is acceptable, especially when they’re delivering truck loads of wine in 100 degree weather! Boo-Ya!

The kind of retailer you DON’T want to be. [bow.gif]

pants/jeans/shorts wouldn’t matter a bit to me…but I would want them in a branded shirt-polo/golf/t-shirt. Anything that has the stores name on it, I’d just prefer it when I see a stranger come walking up my way-or if the person comes to the door and my wife answers it. Shirts wouldn’t set you back much, maybe $10-30/each depending on quality and quantity.

-paul

I’m assuming he means people delivering to a retail outlet?

I personally don’t mind, but a printed shirt might be nice. Plus, the delivery guy wouldn’t have to get his own clothes messed up!

A lot of the medium and large-sized distributors here have their drivers wear uniforms. All of the small ones don’t. I have no preference.

I get pretty excited when my delivery guys show up with no BO. Especially in the summer. And I know most of them on a first-name basis, trust me it’s uncomfortable when they’re stinky.

The union guys, in my case, are usually the cleanest.

But they’re delivery guys! Keep the bar low.

ahhh…well that changes things. I thought he was talking about someone from a retail store making deliveries to the end customer. If you are correct-I have no opinion.

-paul

I agree with Paul.
Makes it a little more professional.
Plus it looks better when they represent you.