Spammy scammy

In case anyone else gets the same credit card scam email.

From: James Scott [mailto:> groupofcompany1989@yahoo.com> ]
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 10:32 AM
To: Eric LeVine
Subject: Champagne Inquiry

Hi
Am very sorry if i may disturb you, please i just need your help in getting this Product Below:

Moet & Chandon Grand Vintage Magnum 2000…12Bottles
Louis Roderer Cristal Champagne 2000/2002…12Bttles

o
Kindly let me know the Total Costs of it and also the Shipping Costs to > GARDENA,CA > With Zip code > 90249> .

So that i can forward to the CEO for the payment and just to let you know payment terms is via his Credit Card.

And all is well regarding the Card Authorization and the Shipping Address.

Hope you got me right? please Don’t hesitate to get back to me at your convenience time, and i will be so glad if you can do me previous Favor.

Hope to Hear From You Asap.

Best Regard
Cheers

Sounds legit to me.

I am not a wine retailer…

not sure I get what the scam is… are they looking to get two cases of wine shipped before providing payment? [scratch.gif]

Yes, that is a very standard scam.

F*** me! Again, as a non-native English speaker myself, I ask: who would EVER be stupid enough to fall for something like this? Just based on the anacoluthia [wink.gif] of the message…I mean, come on people, use the same inkling of common snese that makes you look both ways before crossing the street. [head-bang.gif]

scam.

Even if a credit card accepts a charge, this may still be a scam, particularly if the card were stolen.

Definitely legit, the aforementioned retail purchase request. Advise purchase authorization immediate.

Cannot be legitimate. Most customers are not so courteous.

We get these all the time. Some actually take the time to place the order on our web site. It’s always for Champagne and needs to process immediately, ship Next Day Air. We had one that placed an order through our web site, I informed him the Cc was declined, he provided me another Cc with a different name & billing address in a different state, I told him declined. I went through that 6 times with this guy, turned him over to the FBI.
Hunted down the actual owners of each of the Cc letting them know their cards are being compromised.

The really dumb one is the guy that ordered champagne and asked it be shipped next day air to American Canyon which is 15 minutes from us. Duh!
Turned the guy and his address over to the Sheriff, they went out and arrested him and his friend for a whole bunch of fraud, possessing stolen Cc and outstanding warrants :slight_smile:

We have a good time tracking these idiots down and turning them over to the proper channels, contacting security fraud departments for Cc, and calling the righful owners of the Cc. With the internet, it’s pretty easy to find all the info out.

Brilliant!!! [rofl.gif]

I deserved at least an e-mail to warn of delayed shipment. [swearing.gif]

Carrie,
Doesn’t that all make you the good witch?? flirtysmile neener

“…i will be so glad if you can do me previous Favor.”

How does that work? [scratch.gif] Does it involve plutonium?

Well, the idiots are at it again, and they must be getting desperate. I’m a broker for small European wineries, not a store or restaurant, and I love the “Hello Sales” intro…

Subject: Champagne
Andy Williams <> andywilly02@yahoo.com> > (Add as Preferred Sender)
Date: Wed, Dec 22, 2010 5:27 am
To: > Info@VinotasImports.com
From Subject (Thread Messages) Date Size
Hello Sales,
How are you doing this morning, i hope everything goes well there, we are having an even coming up and i will like to know if you do stock this below…
Champagne Louis Reoderer Cristal 2002 vintage, i need 2 cases and i will like to know the total cost for it and also do you accept credit card.
Kindly get back to me asap so that we can proceed.

Thanks.

Andrew Williams

It’s Andy Williams, the famous crooner!

He’s probably buying it for his big Christmas concert after-party.

Get that e-mail once a quarter at a minimum

Got a new online order for 1300+ in wine from a “Murphy Law Group” in LA to be shipped to a “Murphy Law Group” in Virginia, but to a residence instead of the office. The Virginia firm does exist and the LA address is for a law firm, but not Murphy Law Group.

Well, “Murphy’s Law,” it was a bogus order, confirmed when Carrie contacted the LA law firm.

Another bogus online order for almost the same wines as the order Randy posted about. Scarecrow, Schrader, Dalla Valle, etc etc to the tune of $3k.

These guys are trying to be so smart. They started emailing me 2 days ago asking if the Scarecrow was in stock or a future and when would it ship. They had several correspondences with me before actually placing the order online and added more bottles than the Scarecrow.

I did a search of the billing information it all came back to the billing address on the order form, I even called Am Exp and they gave me an approval code. I searched the “Ship To” address and it came back to an apartment complex, one of the phone numbers came back to a hotel, the other was a fax number. I hunted down the real phone number for the card holder, when I called the housekeeper said they are out of town. I doubt they will be placing an order like this to ship next day air when they aren’t even home.

2 hours later, after I tell them the Cc has been declined, now they place another order for the same stuff with an attorney’s Cc. they’re not giving up.

Watch those orders. This is the 4thrd in the last couple weeks for large orders where the person is very literate and will spend a fair amount of time schmoozing to try to make you comfortable before placing the order.