Tasting room furniture ???

For those of you who either have tasting rooms in your wineries or work in bars / restaurants:

How tall are your tables?

How tall are the stools?

What do you think is the optimal height interval between them?

Are you planning to operate the tasting room as a bar? If so, small tables, (24 inch square or round) and stools with backs. If you are serving appetizers, cheese, etc., you might want 30 inch tables.

If you are just operating a tasting room, you might want to limit seating, otherwise people will camp out and reduce the turnover at the bar. Bar stools with no backs at an appropriate height, 18 to 24 inch wide by 2 inch thick counter attached to the walls away from the bar, so the bar remains accessible without having to move around tables, chairs and people.

We use standard height tables in our bar, 29" base with 2 " tabletop, 30" square. We changed from 24" tables when we found them too small for blind tastings where more than 4 glasses were used. They were also too small when two people tried to eat at the table and you couldn’t really get the chairs close enough to the table because of the large, heavy base on the table.

our tasting room has a “max” capacity of 20, so this:

is how we roll.

This will be a European style wine bar with snacks but not a kitchen. We WANT people to hang and consider it their “local”. We are using wine barrels for the bases of some 32 inch rounds and then will have a community table that will be 36" by 18’ in three sections.

Our big question is what is a comfortable hight for the tables and then the stools in relation to them?

Roberto,
That’s exactly what our original plan was but there is no place to put your legs when sitting on a bar stool unless you put a top on the barrel that extends far enough out from the barrel so the ladies can cross their legs.

We have 9 1/2" -10" of clearance between the chair seat & table top. We don’t use bar stools, we have micro fiber chairs with backs on them. They’re pretty comfy and stains wash right out. Randy made our tables and we had glass cut to fit on top and then bought table bases for them.

agreed.

and Randy plays one hell of a piano.

It’s gonna come back to haunt me one day. pileon [wink.gif]

Seems like a definite problem with wine barrels . Isn’t a barrel 24" in diameter at the middle/ wide part. If you center a 32" top it projects only 4" past the wide part of the barrel and a little more at the tapered top and bottom. Not comfortable to tuck knees in and forget about crossing legs. (not to mention they look hokey to me and perhaps a bit heavy & farmhouse for West LA). I’d give it a test run to see, but even a 36" round would barely be comfortable. I’d also check the final height of a barrel plus a top. 34" seems to be about the max comfortable height to eat with a standard chair. A barrel might require another tupe of chair, or a stool. Personally I don’t find stools as comfortable.