Stupid salesmanship

[head-bang.gif] [head-bang.gif] I did again!!! [head-bang.gif] [head-bang.gif]

Its the end of the night, we’re supposed to be closed, but we opened an 07 Ketcham RR P/N to settle from a very busy day and post on the boards. In walks two couples, possibly from Portugal, judging by their names and conversations between themselves in their native tongue. They want some wine before dinner. I ask if they would like to start with a lighter red like P/N. Conversation in a foreign language, then “yes.” I ask if they have a style, country or region they prefer. They want something from the region here. I ask if they want old world or new world, forest floor vs. fruit forward. One asks what I like. Stupidly, [head-bang.gif] [head-bang.gif] , I go grab a glass, throw a splash of Ketcham in it and give to them. They all taste it, converse for a minute in their native tongue, then one turns to me and says we’ll take two bottles of this.

They pay and leave. Carrie ushers me outside for a cigarette and starts poking me in the forehead with her index finger. Carrie: “Stupid, there is no more and you keep sharing it and selling it.” [head-bang.gif] [head-bang.gif]

Another satisfied customer leaves the Ketcham Tasting room.

I’m sure more is on the way.

Men, can’t live with 'em & can’t kill 'em neener neener

disclaimer: refer to avatar [stirthepothal.gif]

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

If you let Randy serve them food, you would be closed in a day. Count your blessings. [wow.gif] [snort.gif]

Randy.

It might help to check the Disciplining Your Wife
manual in the Asylum forum after what she did to you. [snort.gif] Oh wait, Nevermind, you are the wife and Carrie’s the Husband. [rofl.gif] Carry on. [cheers.gif]

I’m a bit confused - why was this stupid? You made the sale didn’t you?

Randy doesn’t want to run out of what he likes to drink …
How do you like that for a retailer? [rofl.gif]

I can hear the conversation

Customer: I’d like 3 bottles of Ketcham Pinot please
Randy: Sorry we only have 1, I have to keep some for me neener

Variation on a theme: A nice looking couple were in the store and wanted a “great” bottle of French wine to bring to a dinner party that night. We settled on a $250 bottle of Comte de Vogue Musigny Les Amoureuses - one of my favorite wines. I was putting the bottle in a gift bag and I heard the wife say to her husband - “Knowing those heathens they’ll probably put ice cubes in the glass”. I immediately took the bottle out of the bag and suggested we find something less expensive that their hosts would enjoy even more - a “win-win” for all concerned. They looked at me as if I’d stepped out of a spaceship from another planet and said “Thanks, but we’ll stay with this one”. I pushed one more time - gently - but when they gave each other a look that I read as “Let’s get the hell out of here and go somewhere else” I backed off and sold them the bottle.

Carrie,

Good thing they didn’t ask Randy what a hundred dollar bill looks like.
They may ahve left with two of those too… [oops.gif]

When you have tourists who don’t really know the difference and won’t likely be back you sell them the wine that you have the most of and need to move, not the wine you have the least of and love to drink and sell to your regulars.

I know that sounds really bad but the idea is you sell them something that’s still good and fits their needs and isn’t the wine that you yourself covet.

If you don’t like ice cubes in your de Vogue, make sure that you keep your Dom Leflaive Batard away from Sen. John Kerry. [thumbs-up.gif]