The skewing power of spirits marketing

Couple comes in with a list given them by a rent-a-bartender. The guy wants them to buy two bottles each of Grey Goose, Chopin and Kettle One to make COSMOs and APPLE-"TINI"s with but wants Bacardi White for the Rum drinks.

You will not be able to taste the dif between any of those $$$ vodkas in those drinks and the one area where you DO get more flavor for your money (the Rum), he wants stuff that is tasteless.

[soap.gif] [bleh.gif] [head-bang.gif] [head-bang.gif] [head-bang.gif]

Isn’t it the common perception that vodka is inherently devoid of taste thus it’s the “smoothness” factor that the consumer is paying for? If your customer wants a Cosmopolitan and/or Appletini ( [gheyfight.gif] ) that’s as smooth as a baby’s butt, then let him get the vodka he wants.

I’m with you on the rum though.

Both of those drinks have sweet stuff in them that will more than pave over any “roughness” in the Vodka, no?

My point though is that the CUSTOMERS didn’t know any of this, they just drink wine, they were given a list from the rent-a-bartender (who has probably been trained / indoctrinated by marketers from those brands at some point in his career).

Witness the continued popularity of Jose Cuervo. Despite the fact that we sell 100% Agave Tequila for less (pretty good Tequila as well), Jose continues to sell–in most cases despite our protests. But I guess you give the customer what they want.

The whole point of the popularity of vodka in mixed drinks is that it delivers the alcohol with no flavor so you can make the drink taste like anything you like with the other additions. Its funny how the vodka with the least perceptible notes is the best. That is opposite of nearly anything else you consume other than water.

I hardly ever touch white rum myself; much prefer the dark stuff. But it’s an essential ingredient in drinks like Mojitos, where a dark rum would be overpowering.
So are there any good non-sucky brands?

Dave-
These guys are making some pretty good stuff for about $30 per:
Montanya Distillers | Colorado Rum | Rocky Mountain Distillery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought that both the light and dark were a bit “hot” when drank neat, but if your looking for a mixer rum, they are great.

In response to Roberto’s post on the higher end vodkas for mixing, maybe the customers needed it just for aesthetics for their party or function? Personally I keep a 1.75 of McCormick or Skol around for bloodies, cape cods, screw the bulls, etc. I have never been able to tell a difference in vodka mixed drinks.

Exactly, if you go to a scotch tasting they talk about flavoring agents and complexity. If you go to a vodka tasting they talk about impurities and smoothness.

Marketing affects buying decisions? Knock it off!

I would disagree with you that Bacardi White is “tasteless.” It has a taste – a nasty one. If mixing cocktails is your goal, much better to go with something like Mount Gay.