NIce Gesture from WTSO

In April I bought 4 bottles of the 97 Burgess Cab from WTSO. The first one I opened was corked, and since they have a corkage-refund policy listed on their website, I emailed them asking for a refund for the corked bottle. A couple of weeks went by with no response, and I sent one or two more emails following up on my original request.

Finally I heard back from Julie, who notified me that they would be refunding me for all four bottles, even though only the first one was corked and my email had made it clear that the second bottle I opened was fine. While the delayed response was slightly frustrating (probably because I’m guessing it’s a relatively small operation and they just got busy), the remedy was going above and beyond the normal standards of service, and deserves recognition.

And as enjoyable as the rest of the bottles have been (still one left), they taste even better free.

Corey,

I also bought 4 bottles of the 97 Burgess from WTSO. I have not tried any and am looking forward to opening one up.

They recently did this for me for 2 bottles of some red blend I bought. The first bottle was corked. Haven’t opened the second but they are refunding me the entire order. I’ve placed 21 orders from them in the last 3 months, though, so it’s a smart move on their part lol.

I don’t think it is particularly smart of them at all. They promptly credit you for a corked bottle, that’s great. There is no point in doing it for bottles you haven’t even opened. It’s totally unnecessary, since if it’s also corked, they can once again cheerfully refund that bottle then.

What I’m saying is a smart move is keeping their customers happy.

I understand that, but I’m saying they can keep their customers happy by simply crediting them for the corked bottle. It’s not as if they shipped wine during a heat wave and credited them for the entire order and let them keep the wine. It’s not their fault it was corked, and they honored their terms. No need to give anything more, since there is no higher probability that the next bottle will be corked. Therefore, it’s not smart.

WTSO was recently generous in donating to a charity wine auction. Oee of the committee members (the one who asked them for the donation) is a regular customer so it made good sense business wise but they actually donated at least double what she asked for- a nice and generous thing to do.

Dave
ITB Calicaro Wine