Wine POS Kiosks

Hello all,

I’m a son of a bottle shop owner in Houston, TX and I’ve been looking for ways to increase biz with our shop. I’ve came across POS Kiosks that act as a wine steward helping customers pick out a bottle by searching certain criteria or picking up bottles to scan and receive info on the bottle.

My question is have any of you heard or used these types of systems in your shops? Also, how do they compile the wine database (with ratings, info, notes, etc.) Is there some database out there that they pull off of or is it them putting it together themselves?

http://www.iksusa.com/index.html

These systems are a pretty cool idea, unless you want to ensure that you hand-sell all your customers instead. They would seem to be especially useful in a larger store. At the very least they’re great for staff training.

I’m sure they’ll tell you where the database comes from. When I had my store we had an online shopping cart database supplied by the cart provider (Bottlenose) that had something like 50,000 possibilities in it, including the 4 or 5 major reviewer scores (if applicable). They compiled it themselves, as became obvious when we’d bring in a wine they couldn’t find info on. The way it worked was through matching to a file upload (via e-mail attachment to them) of our POS inventory database. My guess is that their subscription renewal pricing may be based on how much they do vs. how much you do yourself, and maybe on how many facings you have.