Wine Storage in Houston

This question seems very geographically specific, so apologies, but I was hoping to get any insight into where people in central Houston store their wines off-site.

I have run into the problem that my wine fridges don’t work well in the closet off the kitchen where we had put them. The closet doesn’t have circulating air in it, so the output from the fridges meant that the closet’s temperature soared, forcing the fridges to work even harder, venting out more hot air, etc. etc.

I’m not handy enough to turn the closet into a real wine room and right now I don’t want to shell out the cash to have someone else do it. The fridges will eventually probably end up in a back room somewhere, but the whole thing got me thinking about whether it was time to get a wine locker at a storage site to store the stuff I want to hold onto for the longer term.

So, back to the question: does anyone have recommendations for Houston (in the loop, more specifically) wine storage? I would probably start out fairly small (our overall wine collection is less than 150 bottles), so not looking for anything elaborate. Many thanks in advance!

Based on Wine Storage Facilities

Nos Caves Vin seems to be an option. But no experience with them. Let us know what you think if you contact them.

I’ve used Amazing Spaces wine storage in The Woodlands, and I believe they have a location in central Houston as well. They’re a pretty solid bunch, and seem fairly priced. Only downside is off hours access, but I also live quite a ways away, so that may not be an issue for you.

ExtraSpace at Shepherd/59 has wine storage/good pricing. Houston Wine Cellar is also a good option but access is limited. I keep wine at both FWIW.

I store wine at the Houston Wine Cellar, which is good but, as Daniel says, access is very limited. I don’t think I’ve visited my wine there in 2 years. People like Nos Caves Vin but it’s expensive. Good if you want to hang out there. I suspect there are other low-cost options at storage places like ExtraSpace. I think there’s one on Holcombe near MD Anderson that I recall seeing advertised but I can’t recall the name.

A new place just opened up called Art of Cellaring. Connected to a wine school just off of 59. Pretty central and not a bad place at all. 500ish bottle locker (24/7 access) starts right now at $350/mo and they’ll accept deliveries on your behalf as well.

They have a lounge area with stemware and all the other things that you need.

Nos Caves is another site as is Vinde Garde. There is another storage place that is pretty new that I’ve forgotten the name of, but the owner also has an interesting collection of toy soldiers and other things there.

Nos Caves Vin is a nice set up, but as mentioned above, it is costly. but they do some neat member events and have a really nice lounge area to drink and share wine with other members.

I need to check out this Art of Cellaring place, sounds promising.

I’m thinking at least lack of humidity shouldn’t be a problem. [stirthepothal.gif]

I am a member at Art of Cellaring and really enjoy the amenities and events over there. They just had Paolo Scavino in to taste through their 2012 Barolo lineup two weeks ago for instance. the lounge and oudoor space make this place unique compared to NCV and Vin de Garde. Overall, it is definitely a place for those who want to make their wine collecting a more social endeavor.

Perhaps a berserker event is in order for the Houstonian crowd on here? I will get something posted in the offline planner and gauge the interest.

JW