I *heart* retail

I’m a 42 year old who, after a career in politics, has finally found her place in wine (and beer) retail. I love it. I like my customers (even the annoying ones!) and I enjoy turning them on to new wines or wines they never thought of before. I’m particularly fond of Washington State wines and I live in the PNW.

I’m the beverage head at a big box store that sells much more than wine. I need to look for a new job in the next year or so or I’m going to get seriously bored. My customers like my enthusiasm and geekiness.

Where do I go from here? What’s the next step? I’m in Oregon so it’s not like there’s a shortage of wine drinkers or wine in general.

Tasting room?

Are you entrepreneurial, or would you prefer to be an employee? Say, five years out?

I’m risk-adverse. And right now I carry the health insurance for my husband and I. He’s a former journalist looking to change careers so that might change and if it does, I’d be a little less risk-adverse.

We live in Bend, Oregon, but for the right opportunity would be willing to relocate.

You’d find a LOT more opportunity in the more populated areas of your state or in wine country (I know there are wineries out your way too, but I think you know what I mean). I think moving to Portland or somewhere in the Willamette Valley would be a very important decision if you want to find work in a less boring environment in the wine business. Then you could explore options in retail or tasting rooms.